LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Optispark ????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:37 PM
4th Gear Member
Default Optispark ????????

So I'm looking around at replacement distributors for my 93 Z28 and prices vary wildly.
I'd like to get the MSD but holy moly they are expensive! $500!
Are the GM performance replacement units reliable?
Anyone running the Jegs opti and had good luck?
How about these limited lifetime warranty units on ebay for $159?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__92-93-94-OPTISPARK-DISTRIBUTOR-CORVETTE-CAMARO-FIREBIRD_W0QQitemZ400021519169QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ 20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZVie wItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash= item400021519169&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_tr kparms=72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

or this one brand new for only $89.95
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...amaro-Z28-Dist

So what units are people on a budget running? or is everyone biting the bullet and shelling out big for the MSD? [8D]

Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Optispark ????????

trust me on this brother, you get what you pay for.I know guys that bought the ones on ebay and had to send it back 3-4 times before getting a working one and they dont last long either.The jegs/accell/summit ones are a step up but arent made great either.Then the GM one is the next step up, and it isnt bad but i rather pay a little more for the MSD unit.Unless you like the long process of doing the job plus keep buying new ones.Ive had the MSD unit for 2 yrs now with no issues at all.Trust me i was the same way thinking it was a lot of money but its worth it in the long run.It features a better sealed unit and better connecting points to ensure your car runs at the best all the time.It also has a timing advance on it but ive never used it, i stick with the computer controlling the timing myself.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 AM
4th Gear Member

I only have a month on my Summit unit and so far, so good. But, a month is too short. The way i see it, my car is a 1995 model. The opti when new probably lasted many years. here it is, 2009, do you think nothing was learned in the aftermarket???

I steared clear of the ebay units but Summit would not risk their reputation selling junk. it's not worth it because the automotive community, and especially passionate folks, we speak and tell tales. Summit wouldn't risk it.

But, you do what you must and my $$$ says the unit sold by Summit must be better than the original units in 1995.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

I only have a month on my Summit unit and so far, so good. But, a month is too short. The way i see it, my car is a 1995 model. The opti when new probably lasted many years. here it is, 2009, do you think nothing was learned in the aftermarket???

I steared clear of the ebay units but Summit would not risk their reputation selling junk. it's not worth it because the automotive community, and especially passionate folks, we speak and tell tales. Summit wouldn't risk it.

But, you do what you must and my $$$ says the unit sold by Summit must be better than the original units in 1995.
I was thinking along that line as well,you bought the unit Summit sells with their name on it?
I looked at that and the price is half that of the MSD but what turned me off is the aluminum terminals instead of brass.
Does anyone know if the GM Performance or the Jegs opti has brass terminals?

Old 01-03-2009, 02:41 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Y2Keglide

I was thinking along that line as well,you bought the unit Summit sells with their name on it?
I looked at that and the price is half that of the MSD but what turned me off is the aluminum terminals instead of brass.
Does anyone know if the GM Performance or the Jegs opti has brass terminals?
yup, bought the Summit brand but it's plain looking (doesn't matter what color it is because it's hidden).

I also replaced the water pump, hoses and thermostat at the same time. For the cost of the units, and since I had them off, I just replaced them to avoid any future soaking and with the age of the car, it just made sense to replace the water pump.

Again, I looked at the MSD and I had no intention of trying to advance the timing. Also, if I only get 50k miles from this unit, so what? I'll probably be back under the hood for something else by then and at that time, I'll probably just do a complete tear down and rebuild.

On another note, do you think every LT1 on the road today is using the MSD or do you think they are getting along fine with other units?

For the price of the MSD you can get yourself an Accel, or Summit and almost get a Maqgnaflow catback or at least a CAI.

Oh, replace the plugs and wires while you're at it and since you'll be mucking around on the passenger side, check the serpentine belt too. Check out Jegs for their 8.5mm wires. their brand is about $40

cheers

Old 01-03-2009, 03:04 PM
4th Gear Member

yup, bought the Summit brand but it's plain looking (doesn't matter what color it is because it's hidden).

I also replaced the water pump, hoses and thermostat at the same time. For the cost of the units, and since I had them off, I just replaced them to avoid any future soaking and with the age of the car, it just made sense to replace the water pump.

Again, I looked at the MSD and I had no intention of trying to advance the timing. Also, if I only get 50k miles from this unit, so what? I'll probably be back under the hood for something else by then and at that time, I'll probably just do a complete tear down and rebuild.

On another note, do you think every LT1 on the road today is using the MSD or do you think they are getting along fine with other units?

For the price of the MSD you can get yourself an Accel, or Summit and almost get a Maqgnaflow catback or at least a CAI.

Oh, replace the plugs and wires while you're at it and since you'll be mucking around on the passenger side, check the serpentine belt too. Check out Jegs for their 8.5mm wires. their brand is about $40

cheers
I've always had good luck with Accel products but they don't make the early version for 92-94 so that option is out for my 93.
I figured on doing hoses,waterpump,plugwires etc while in there,the whole point is to have this car a reliable daily driver rain or shine.
I agree on if it lasts 50K trouble free I would be happy with that,the engine has about 60K on it now after a rebuild.
It runs great but reality is that another 50K is asking plenty of a rebuilt engine.
If I have the car that long it will likely be relegated to a hotrod and get a stroker build with the full treatment of bolt ons,internals and tuning or it will be traded off and to a newer Camaro LS1 or a Corvette.
For now it's a daily driver on a budget and the last thing I want is to buy a part that is substandard and have it fail me, especially since this part is in such a stupid location to work on,what the hell were they thinking?

Old 01-03-2009, 03:51 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Y2Keglide

cheers
I've always had good luck with Accel products but they don't make the early version for 92-94 so that option is out for my 93.
I figured on doing hoses,waterpump,plugwires etc while in there,the whole point is to have this car a reliable daily driver rain or shine.
I agree on if it lasts 50K trouble free I would be happy with that,the engine has about 60K on it now after a rebuild.
It runs great but reality is that another 50K is asking plenty of a rebuilt engine.
If I have the car that long it will likely be relegated to a hotrod and get a stroker build with the full treatment of bolt ons,internals and tuning or it will be traded off and to a newer Camaro LS1 or a Corvette.
For now it's a daily driver on a budget and the last thing I want is to buy a part that is substandard and have it fail me, especially since this part is in such a stupid location to work on,what the hell were they thinking?
Can I get an AMEN !!!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Overdrive Member

rofl you will be lucky to get 50k out of one, i dont even think the stock ones got that much.There is an aftermarket for it if youre willing to spend the money.Ive seen people take their intake manifold and have them drill a hole in it so they can go with the old HEI style distributors like on the first generation chevy small blocks, however people in the LTX community dont look at it as a real LT1 because there is no optispark.There was a company i forget the name of who made a coil pack system but you still have to use the optispark but the plus side is the coil packs took the high resolution signal off the opti, so it had less strain on it.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:17 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Alih

There was a company i forget the name of who made a coil pack system but you still have to use the optispark but the plus side is the coil packs took the high resolution signal off the opti, so it had less strain on it.
I was looking at that set up,it just uses the pick up down on the crank and moves all the high voltage stuff topside.
It's a 4 coil set up with a black box ignition module.
I think that is likely a much better setup but it's not cheap either,although not much more than the MSD Optispark.
I found a site that has sale items from different suppliers listed,if it is correct they have the genuine GM Performance Opti from Jegs that normally lists for $395 on sale for $249.95.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Overdrive Member

i would jump on that, you cant beat it

Quick Reply: Optispark ????????