LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Opti-spark replacement successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Thumbs up Opti-spark replacement successful.

After many hours of reading horror stories about the replacement of the opti-spark, I have bucked up and got the job done. It was dirty and bloody but well worth it. I actually had a bad water pump but decided to do cap & rotor while I was there. First crank fire. Took the car out and put it through the paces. All I found was a loose house I didn't tighten. Knew there would be a few of those. Here's what I learned

Accel 8136 (cap&rotor kit) quality was better than expected. I ordered the one for a 95-97 LT-1 and it is vented. I did use a the base portion of the original cap & rotor with the rest being new parts.

Mine is a 93 non vented. Was able to use all new seals from the kit. Sealed the vent hole and the exterior gap with RTV.

Crank Pulley bolts were tight as * but the crank itself came off easily.

DO NOT FORCE THE SLEEVES. They really fit very easily.

Need torx t-6
New Hose Clamps (factory are aweful)
RTV
Patience

I understand the fact that this is quite temporary. I go into this expecting to go less than fifty thousand miles. I am okay with that. However, if this is not just to get the car running, but the stage at which you are in the project. Go Much Bigger. Spend More. Because this is not a great fix in my opinion and needs to be improved upon.

I share this info becaue someone shared with me. any questions just ask. any advice or personal experiences with this subject please let me know. '93 z28. project car 3 weeks in 49 weeks to go. pics coming soon

Last edited by luckyhdnox; 03-01-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: alter post
Old 03-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Overdrive Member

good to hear,yeah the more you do it the easier it is

Old 03-08-2009, 12:08 PM

i have the 94 camaro LT1
what is the right optispark unit to install new? lots of options on the net...
i read to replace the water pump too.
again what is the right wp to install new?
this is a pullout LT1/T56 going into a 55 belair, any info about the wiring from old to new.
brian

Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 PM

If you haven't already done it, here's what I know.

Accel #8136

Definitely a good idea to replace water pump. Really no other logical option. I ordered the Accel #8136. Says it fits 1994 1/2 to 96 or 97. this is a vented optispark. Your car, depending on if it's early or late 94 could be vented or non vented. Doesn't Matter. If it's non vented like mine then you'll just replace cap & rotor and then seal very well with rtv blue. If it's vented you'll have the vacuum line to connect. I would still run bead of rtv blue around the cap. Keep in mind..if it's not vented you will only use the glass cap and the rotor. you will still use the original base plate that I believe holds the ?timing eye?. not sure about the exacts on that.

Water Pump from O'reillys was better quality than you might expect. I am very satisfied.

Electric fans came out through the bottom. easily disconnects from radiator. Radiator came out through the top.

I blew an upper hose that I did not replace because I could not get the original Clamp off. amazingly difficult. When I blew the hose poured 4qts of water all over the water pump and distributor. Parked the car and came back with a new hose and a dremel for the clamp. changed hose and car fired first start. no problems since. opti-spark. soaking wet, lives on

ABOUT WIRING:
I don't know the rules on dropping names, so i will just say this. There is a company called Custom Vans of Houston. There are people there that know all. Autorama winners. Well known for Lt-1, Ls-1's and 2's going into old school, 70 c-10, 53 olds, etc. impeccable cars. Maybe you could get someone on the phone that has the resources to help you. Their main business is not custom rods. Nor are they selling custom rods. The guys just know all.

Last edited by luckyhdnox; 03-10-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:08 AM
2nd Gear member

Ebay Opti:
I have so far bought 3 of them off ebay. They have cost me $30 dollars a peice w/ free shipping. I have about 10,000 miles on the current one and it is still going strong. I bought one of them for a buddy and he has about 3,000 on it and is loved the price. I think the car doesn't perform the best it could off of it, but for the price and being a college student it was perfect for me. it is also awesome for if you do not know if the opti is your actual problem because you are not out $300.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Thumbs down Thank God for Roadside Assistance

Well I don't know if my opti went out or what. Ever since I replaced my upper, things have been going well with the car. today on the way to work, cruising about fifty. Next thing I know my car is not running. Try starting on the fly, no luck. Pull off the road and try to start several times. no go. it cranks like there is compression, it even seems to want to fire. but doesn't. looked underneath and have a small puddle of coolant. Had to leave car to come to work. Going back with a wrecker tonight. I will inform everybody of what went wrong this time and how to fix it. Hopefully it sprung another leak and soaked my opti-spark. It's sad because that would be good news to me. The alternative could be much worst. THIS CAR COULD **** A MONK OFF! No offense monks.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Default The Saga Continues

Returned to the scene of the crime with the local flat bed. Car started first crank. Ran a little rough though. Coolant was pretty much all missing. Another coolant leak. Now I suppose it soaked the opti-spark and this time must have caused problems. I'll be back under it sunday for repairs. I will continue to update for anyone who might need some info.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:34 PM

Getting ready to replace my optispark. I know the spline on the block side has a key/notch that only fits one way, is it the same on the rotor side? If not how do you make sure the rotor is in the right position? Thanks!

93 Z28

Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

my93,, the rotor only goes on one way. if u are replacing the opti then u dont change the rotor or cap. the opti is the whole distributor. there are more sensors in the 93 opti than most other years. if u can, do the whole thing. u really dont want to do this all over again if its not going to make any difference. all it takes is some water in there and it messes things up good.
bkcon... i think u can get a regular distributor intake for a lt1 and use a top side distributor in it. u would have to do some research on it to see what else if anything u would have to do to make the change. im thinking of trying it for a motor in my boat. ive always used the gm performance high volume aluminum water pump and am not disappointed.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Yeah I am going to replace the whole thing. I had heard the spline will come out of the back of the distributor side (wrote it wrong as rotor last post) also. Just wondered if it was notched too.

Quick Reply: Opti-spark replacement successful.