LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Opinions please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Default Opinions please?

I just bought a 93 z28.. it has a built 700r4 with a 3500 stall.. The car has had a fire in the engine compartment and virtually all the wires and fuel injection is gone.. I tore the heads and intake off last nite and teh shortblock appears to be in great shape.. what my plans are as of now is to put a carburator on it.. Has any one else done this conversion.. I was gunna get a non Lt1 edelbrock rpm airgap intake and drill the bolt pattern to make it fit and then get the runners portmatched to the heads.. Also i was gunan run a compcams XFI292xrcam which is 242/248 duration @50 with 584/579 lift... I am also gunan run a fogger system and get the exhaust valves cut to 1.60s.. and also throw a set of proform RRs on them.. I am gunan run a MSD dist.. early model style(non LT1).. Ill prolly run a 650 mighty demon on it.. I also am runnin 3.73 gears... How do yall think this setup will work? Do yall like it? any suggestions?

Old 11-02-2006, 06:09 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Opinions please?

You should check with Edelbrock to find out what problems You might run into with that intake, The water passages on an LT1 are completely different than a normal small block so You might have some issues to contend with.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear member

i have only heard of doing it the opposite, most carbd 350's are going with the LT1 intake manifolds, they have much better flow rates than most carb'd intake manifold's for a fraction of the price.

i can only advise against this because i feel you are gonna have some huge problems. on an LT1 the oil pickup uses the gears at the rear of the cam, and on a regular 350 that is where the distributor gear is located. your fuel system would have to be redone, tranny modifications, all the sensors that Run off the PCM, and the cam you want is for fuel injected cars, not carbd, and if you get a new cam dont get the proform RR's they are too cheap, get the comp cams magnum non self aligning, with gm guide plates, measure for pushrod length and the oem lifters should be good if they dont have over 60,000 on them , i havent even begun to skim the top of what all you would need to modify to make it work, let alone make it a contender, it would be a tough task, but if you need more help just ask.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:31 AM

ALright man.. Im sorry.. Im not tryin to be a smartass.. But...My tranny has nothin to do with sensors or any PCM bullcrap... It has nothin whatsever to do with a computer.. When You go with carb setup u do away with all that crap... So dont worry teh tranny will be fine.. ALL sensor will be gone when u go with a carb.. The computer is not in effect, at al... and for the oil pump drive... A lt1 oil pump is Driven by the water pump... And for the distributer gear... A camshaft on an early model 350 and a lt1 350 is virtually the same... the gears are in the same spot.. same size gear.. And a fuel injection cam and a carb cam.. WILL interchange.. the fuel inject cam has the same prolfile duration and lift as the carb cam.. check the specs heres the part numbers...12-468-8 for the carbd...07-468-8 for the f.i...... the difference is how they fit with the differnt blocks.. ANd whoever told u that u cant use a fuel injection cam with carburation is a dumbass... I DO IT ALL THE TIME... I have 3 carburated mustang using fuel injection cams,....SO now... I was just wondering how do u think this setup will perfrom? btw ill send u some pics to show u the difference in a lt1350 fuel injection cam and a regular ealry model carburated 350 cam....there isnt much of one..

Old 11-04-2006, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

If you can control shift points and firmness with a programmer than the tranny does have somthing to do with the computer.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:04 AM

Carguy.... Once again as I said above.. The motor is going to be carbed.. NON COMPUTER CONTROLD!!!!!! the trans is a NON COMPUTER CONTROLED 700R4.. IT REQUIRES NO **** POINTS... THE FIRMNESS IS GOIN TO BE AS FIRM AS MY STAGE 3 SHIFT KIT MAKES IT AND AS FAR AS THE **** POINTS GO.... THAT WILL ME CONTROLLED BY A SLIGHT PUSH OF MY HAND......IM SORRY IF I AM COMING ACROSS AS A SMART *** PEOPLE.... JUST TO CLEAR THINGS UP FOR ANYONE ELSE WHO READS THIS FORUM.. MY MOTOR AND TRANS IS "NOT" CONTROL BY A COMPUTER, PCM OR ANYTHING LIEK THAT.. LETS JUST PRETEND THAT THIS IS A 1969 CAMARO .. SO IT CAN BE LIEK THE WHOLE DAYS WHEN WE HAD NO PCM COMPUTER BULL CRAP.. ITS TEH SAME THING.... LETS PRETEND MY 93 NEVER HAD A COMPUTER PCM OR ANYTHING LIEK THAT TO BEGIN WITH OK????? SO ENOUGH ABOTU THE PCM AND COMPUTER .. BECAUSE IT DOES NOT MATTER WITH A CARB SETUP.. AND THE TRANNY IS NOT CONTROLED BY A PCM.. AND AS A MATTER OF FACT JUST FOR REFERENCE SAKE.... THE TRANNY WASNT CONTROLD BY A PCM WHEN THE MOTOR WAS FUEL INJECTED...

Old 11-04-2006, 03:05 AM

ALSO I DID NOT MEAN TO TYPE ****... I MEANT SHIFT**** SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE

Old 11-04-2006, 10:23 AM

If it were me, I would try to find a new harness or one at a salvage. Have you checked with Painless? Sounds like you just need the engine harness, and replacing the harness would seem to be an easier task. JMO.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:45 AM

yea i see what ur sayin.. i wanted to go carbd just to try somthin diff...

Old 11-04-2006, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

My fault man I thought it was the electric 700r.

Quick Reply: Opinions please?