LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

No fuel or Spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Default No fuel or Spark

My brother owns a 95 Z28, 2 years ago he went out to start the car and fuel pump was not turning on. He replaced the fuel pump only to find out that the problem was it was not getting power. After more troubleshooting he found that he also did not have spark. The gauges are jumping around when he turns the key. The car will crank but will not get fuel or spark. the car wasnt involved in a crash or anything. I have searched and searched over the net on and off for the last year or so to try to find somebody with the same problem with no luck. Any thoughts of what this could be? bad ground maybe? he is ready to just sell the car and told me I could have it for $1000 but ill have to drive 6 hours to go pick it up and haul it back. so my second question is it worth the trouble to go and get it. Anytime I have dealt with a cars electrical system it has been a pain. Thanks for any help in advance

Old 03-26-2010, 01:28 PM
4th Gear Member

Guages jumping around? Are you saying that they do more than just get recognized by the computer, like they continue to twitch or something? Has he been able to get any codes? Could be something as simple as fuse or could be more serious like the ECM. Any wire damage? Has it been sitting outside where field mice love to crawl up in there and just chew the heck out of the wiring harness? Since you are saying it will crank, I am assuming that the battery cables are ok.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:16 PM

hes saying the gauges go all the way up and stay there, check engine light stays on. I dont know if there is any wire damage. I was wandering if there would be some kind of sensor or relay that would not allow both fuel and spark. fuses all good

Old 03-26-2010, 04:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It maybe a anti theft thing the computer set, my cousins camaro did it to him, he had to replace the PCM and harneses not a quick job but it worked after words.
the anti theft can shut off fuel and spark at the same time and just let the engine turn over with the starter.
IT also could have been triggered if the car has a remote start installed because when they install it they have to program the pcm to reconize the new remote for the locks and ingnition so it may or may not be the problem, but its possibe.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think its the bcm or body control modual. get it scanned.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear member

on a '95,a decent scanner will read codes without the car starting especially if ses light is on.try to gain access to a scanner.you might try to bypass the vats just to eliminate it.go to shbox.com,tells the procedure

Old 03-27-2010, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear member

also when the pcm sets the security light it shuts down fuel,spark and the starter so if it was the vatts it shouldnt crank either

Old 03-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Thx for all the fast input. From what ive read bcm can cause no fuel or spark but also no crank. I really would need the car to check these things. Seems the mechanic that has worked on it was able to "by-pass" something and get spark but still no fuel. Would $1000 be a good deal? worth the headache? 145k but has good body, t-tops new clutch, plugs, wires, rotors, pads. like a say I would have to drive from NC to Ohio and trailer it back.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 PM

Would it be possible to put the ignition and fuel on manual switchs and not cause any other problems, if I could not find the problem??

Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

depends on what shape its in on the 1k. u can have the vats tuned out of the computer by a tuner if thats the problem. have u or him been able to get a good scanner on it yet?

Quick Reply: No fuel or Spark