LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

NO ABS or Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 PM
2nd Gear member
Default NO ABS or Cruise Control

Hello, just got my '94 Z28, 4sp Auto, knowing that it has a few issues.

Discovered today that the Cruise Control does not work, and the ABS light is on steady. I was told that these two things could be related, but hav eno idea what to check.

All of the tail and stop lights work, and I checked all of the fuses in the fuse box under the hood and on the left side of the dash. Only the fuse for the courtesy lights was blown and I replaced it.

In the fuse/relay box under the hood, slot "G" is empty and the sticker under the cover says that is for the ASR (what is that?). Could that have something to do with my lack of ABS?

Is there a code scanner that I can get that will read the ABS codes? I am going to the auto parts store this weekend for general maintenance items and can get it then.

The car runs very well other than the ABS and lack of Cruise Control. I lit the tires up shifting from 1st to 2nd (totally AWESOME!).

Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

for my 93 i show a low coolant level relay in g. also says a asr is acceleration slip regulation. not real sure but its sounds trans related. lol. pretty sure the 94 has the 4l60e so it could have something to do with that. 93 has a 700r4. the abs relay is the only one that is different in there so all should be interchangable except the abs. take the one out of the driving light relay and put it in g and see what happens. if the brakes arent acting up then i would say its probly one of the speed sensors or wiring harness to em. ones that usually screw up are on the front hubs. anyways it may be worth it to have that abs relay tested. cruse control may be the blinker handle. not sure how to test to find out if yours is bad though. i had one go and cruse control worked sometimes.

Last edited by craby; 01-06-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Acceleration Slip Regulation (ASR) = traction control. That's what prevents the rear tires from spinning free by default, unless you switch the traction control off. Do you have an ASR switch on the center dash, right above the console? That's how you turn it on and off. There's a speed sensor in the center section of the rearend, and each front wheel has a speed sensor. Traction control and ABS are tied together since they are regulated by the speed sensors. And I believe the cruise control is as well. With the ASR relay removed, it sounds like the previous owner may have been having some problems with the system. Unless maybe your car never had ASR? I thought it was an option on the Z28, but most buyers opted for it.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 01-07-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

if the cables are broke on any of the sensors them a code will come up as the pcm cannot tell if the wheel is locked (when braking for abs) or the speed it is rotating (with regards to the cruise)

check the cables on the sensors in the front hubs, then on the rear if you have (ASR traction control) there is a sensor on each wheel, check these, if no ASR then you have one sensor above the differential housing , check there. these run to a plug munted just above the axle on the drivers side (if im correct, my 99 does?) check the cables there too. By the sound of it it the fuses and relays are good it will prob be the sensors

Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Droid

If the car is equipped with ASR, the cruise control is disengaged during low traction or ASR failure. ASR became an option toward the middle of the model year.

The ABS can be scanned with an ABS scanner or a high end professional scanner. The $30 to $50 charge is cheaper than throwing parts at the system. Check fuses 1, 5 under hood.

The cruise control system is comprised of the control switches, cruise control module, VSS, release switch. The module has 8 inputs. 6 from the control stalk: ON/OFF, SET/COAST, RESUME/ACCEL. 1 from fuse #12 (under hood) POWER. 1 from the brake switch, BRAKE (releases cruise control when brake is depressed). 1 from VSS sensor (vehicle speed). The module has one output through a stepper motor connected to a cable going to the throttle body (adjusts speed depending on VSS signal).

Being that ABS and ASR are interrelated, a failure of ether one could disable the cruise control.

Last edited by z28pete; 01-07-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Do you have an ASR switch on the center dash, right above the console?
I have the below switch just to the left of the cluster. It is labeled "A" and "M" (Auto and Manual???) But I don't know what it is. Could this be the ASR switch? Sorry it isn't clear.
The only other switch on the dash is near the OBD1 port and it is for the alarm.

Name:  UnknownSwitch.jpg
Views: 2240
Size:  87.5 KB

Last edited by Grandpaswagon; 01-07-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:18 AM
3rd Gear Member

on my 99 i have a button in middle of dah below centre vents that says ASR, im presuming you have something similar on the 94 if it does have ASR, it may not as it was an option

Old 01-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't know what that "A M" switch is, mine didn't have one. And the way the corner of that switch hangs over the curved part of the dash, it looks more like an add on. That doesn't look like a quality factory install to me.
The ASR switch is a momentary rocker switch, about twice the size of that "A M" switch. If you have one, it's on the center part of the dash, down low and to the left, right above the center shifter console.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i got a 95 6-speed that has the abs inop light always on like what he is saying but it doesnt not have traction control and i cant figure out how the get my abs to work... but the other morning i put my new cai on and took it for a spin and the first time i slammed my breaks the abs worked and it said low traction in the panel... after that i havent been able to get them to work is mine possibly the same poblem as his? (there is 3 in of snow onthe ground currently so abs inop isnt verry fun!)

Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The ASR switch is a momentary rocker switch, about twice the size of that "A M" switch. If you have one, it's on the center part of the dash, down low and to the left, right above the center shifter console.
I must not have the ASR option then, because I have no switch in that area of the dash / console. At least that is one thing that I don't have to worry about.

Quick Reply: NO ABS or Cruise Control