LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

New to LT1 and haveing a sputring problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Default New to LT1 and haveing a sputring problem

I just bought a 94 Z28 with a LT1 bout 120k on the clock, 6speed trans. At low RPMs there is quite a sputter and miss, it will hit the higher RPMs but sputters getting there and at about 60mph in 6th gear it wants to miss. Sounds real good at an idling though. The PO said he put in a new distributor and it ran fine after but when he got it out after the winter this is how it was. Should i start with a complete tune up and go from there?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

complete tune up is what,,, spark plugs. lol. and yes change em. better change plug wires if there lookin old. not fun until your done. lol. change the fuel and air filter and have it scanned for trouble codes if you can find a place with the right scanner.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:57 AM

I have been reading about this cap a rotor being a big problem with these cars, i was thinking about checking into that too. There is no "Check Engine" light on, only a ABS inoperative light, so i'm not sure if a scan would show much.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:15 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by XXLWheelies
I have been reading about this cap a rotor being a big problem with these cars, i was thinking about checking into that too. There is no "Check Engine" light on, only a ABS inoperative light, so i'm not sure if a scan would show much.
allow me to expand on the advice given by crab

scanners do not just look at stored codes. Good ones also show what the sensors are reporting to the computer. Plugs and wires are always a good start and then take it from there

Old 08-30-2010, 06:56 PM

I;m getting hooked up with a Chevy mechanic with a code scanner he can bring home from work, so come Friday i may have some answers. I also talked to the PO again and he said the Distributor and cap cost his $300 so im assuming that was a good one not a cheap one. But the wires he said were replaced maybe 3 years ago, maybe a place to start.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Droid

Replacing cap and rotor on an Optispark is usually an exercise in futility. Most opti problems are due to damage to the internal circutry and optical system. The best policy is to replace the whole distributor.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

my thoughts exactly. if your tearing it down that far replace the opti and do the water pump as well so you know its not going to wet on your new opti and fry it. i did my opti, plugs, plug wires, water pump and water pump shaft seal when i did mine. well i did a little more than that but thats another story. lol.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
my thoughts exactly. if your tearing it down that far replace the opti and do the water pump as well so you know its not going to wet on your new opti and fry it. i did my opti, plugs, plug wires, water pump and water pump shaft seal when i did mine. well i did a little more than that but thats another story. lol.
yup

but "new" waterpumps aren't always good.

I had one that started to weep within 2 weeks and then another had a pipe on the top come off and the opti took a shower.

sure, the parts store person simply said it was a good thing that the part was still on warranty; I wanted to choke the guy.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:19 PM

Were would you guy recommend getting a new distributor? By what im reading i should replace the distributor and cap, rotor, and what pump. Auto Zone? Advance Auto? Ebay? What about the Summit brand ones?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Droid

Get a new complete new distributor (not rebuilt), either GM or MSD. Try Jegs or Summit & stay away from E Bay, unless you like pot luck. For water pump also look for a new one AC Delco or Gates, stay away from rebuilds or house brands. If you can't find one at a local shop, try Rock Auto.

Quick Reply: New to LT1 and haveing a sputring problem