LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

need some help kinda quick before I spend money!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Default need some help kinda quick before I spend money!

hi I need some input before I buy another car.
Im looking at a 93 lt1 trans am, for real cheap.
the owner says it has a blown headgasket. but Im not sure , and want some advice, I dont want the car if it needs a newmotor.
thisis the scoop on the motor, from what I can tell
The car overheats, the owner has put some block seal in it, and put a new water pump on the car.
their is NO water in the oil.
& the car overheats super fast,it is blowing steam out the exhaust, lots and lots of steam.
kinda strange but they are alot of steam.
does this sound like a head gasket or a cracked head? or something worse like a cracked block?
And are they any eazy way to check for a cracked block over a headgasket?

I dont mind replacing the heads if they are cracked, but I dont want to replace the motor. what
are the chances the block is cracked?

Old 10-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Default RE: need some help kinda quick before I spend money!

You are better of looking for another car. You will easily spend more than 600 bucks for labor and parts. If there is alot of steam coming out of the exhaust that means theres water going into the heads. Depending on how long this has been going on, the engine block could be damaged too. My opinion is dont waste time and money on something that is broken, most likely you will find problem after problem costing you more than what you paid for the car.. Good luck

Old 10-13-2008, 10:38 PM

You are better of looking for another car. You will easily spend more than 600 bucks for labor and parts. If there is alot of steam coming out of the exhaust that means theres water going into the heads. Depending on how long this has been going on, the engine block could be damaged too. My opinion is dont waste time and money on something that is broken, most likely you will find problem after problem costing you more than what you paid for the car.. Good luck

Old 10-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: green goblin

QFT

Look elsewhere, don't get too excited about buying a new car, keep your eye out and check multiple sources every day, a car in good condition will come up eventually.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 PM
4th Gear Member

LOOK FOR ANOTHER CAR! dont buy it thinking you can fix it up unless your 100% dedicated and have a HUGE budget... I learned the hard way... if it has any problems that arent easily identified DONT GET IT!!!! These cars arent rare, you should be able to find a nice one with no trouble if you wait it out and look hard.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Overdrive Member

those are all symptoms of a blown head gasket, but if it wasnt fixed asap you could have major issues