LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Need Some Help- 94 z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Default Need Some Help- 94 z28

I got my camaro a couple months ago, and have been working on it ever since, i love the thing, but im running out of possibilities for one problem its having. When i get anywhere past 1000rpms in any gear it's pulling back almost as if it is misfiring, but all the spark plugs and wires are fine. The fuel pump is new and it idles fine most of the time but on occasion it will rev a little when its still. I put fuel injector cleaner in it thinking it might help a little but it hasn't. I'm not sure what the problem could be, hellllp!

Shell

Old 09-20-2009, 02:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is everything stock? has the opti ever been replaced?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:33 PM

nothing is stock in the car, i recently got it from a teenager who ran the thing to crap, and did'nt know much about it. that and he let it sit for almost a year, i've been trying to fix everything as i go along, but im not sure if teh opti has been replaced in a while. this is my first v8 and ive worked on 4 cylinders a little but i'm trying to learn this car as i go along. the valve cover gaskets were leaking a little while back and i have changed them, but i don't know if oil from that got anywhere near the spark plugs, i'm thinking that might be part of the issue though.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:00 PM

i guess it might be the opti, imma try replacing it and the plugs and wires, hopefully that will help. like i said im new to domestics lol but from the symptoms its having, that sounds like its exactly the problem

Old 09-20-2009, 03:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if it sat for some time the inside of the opti could be all rusted up. do the plugs first and if that does not do it then when u do the opti do the wires. its easier to do the wires while the opti and all the stuff u need to take off to get to it is out of the way.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Listen to the wise Craby, sir. He speaks the truth. I'd be willing to bet your opti is garbage. I've had mine do something very similar before and that's what it was. but since it's cheaper, change the plugs and see what they look like. If you buy an opti, don't buy anything but OEM style. There's an Ebay store that sells them for $85 bucks, complete distributor, called Gr8HotRod. Just search that store and you'll find them. I bought one from them and it's as advertised, works great. If you really wanna fix the opti prblem on a more permanent basis and have a little extra cash, (which most of us with these cars don't BECAUSE of these cars) you can get a coil pack conversion offered by Bob Bailey at Bailey Engineering. It's a complete setup that takes the "fire" out of the opti and only uses the cam sensor portion to determine timing. It's all plug and play. It comes with the box and the harness for $399 shipped anywhere in the 48. All you have to do is buy the LS1 coil packs which you can find all over Ebay for anywhere from $60-$100 for a whole set still mounted to the factory brackets. I have this setup on my car and a friend has recently started running it. We SWEAR by it now. The box comes with an adjustment in it to set rev limiter and a Nitrous retard/delay adjustment. The only thing you have to kinda get creative with is mounting the coil packs but there's brackets you can buy pre-fabbed or you can make some like I did. www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html

Old 09-21-2009, 04:11 PM

one more question, i'm looking online to order the opti, if i do have to get it, i want to get the vented one, but will it fit my '94?

Old 09-21-2009, 04:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the msd has a vent adapter for our style. otherwise no. best to get either the gm performance non vented or the msd. i put a performance on in my first z and it went till i sold it running fine. 100k miles so they are a good unit. have the msd in this one so its still up in the air for me.