LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

need more power

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default need more power

im looking for a way to add power. what else could i do for my car with a not too expensive budget? i have a cai, catbacks, shift kit, 75 shot of nitrous, an edelbrock throttlebody, and anything else on my signature i mightve missed.. thanks

Old 01-26-2007, 05:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: need more power

bigger ratio roller rockers, (1:6) bigger MAF, computer tune get some better gears like 3:73 or 4:11, and some headers. it u want some real power swap a cam.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

For people on a budget like myself, i read an article and list in GM High Tech Performence magazine that will give you the best bang for the buck for an LT1 camaro.

-LT Pacesetter headers
-off road y pipe
-Hypertech Tuner
-LT4 Hot Cam Kit (with LT4 cam, 1.6 rockers, and valvesprings)
-LT4 Heads
-LT4 timing chain
-Granatelli High-flow mass air flow sensor
-SLP CAI
-2800 or better stall converter
-4.10 or 3.73 gears
-Magnaflow or Flowmaster exhaust system
-58mm throttle body

Believe it on not, with all of this stuff, it will put you in the mid to low12's or better according to GM High-Tech Performence magazine. I also read an article of some guy running 12.8 1/4 mile with only half of the stuff above installed into a 97 Z28. He did LT pacesetter headers, off-road y-pipe, magnaflow cat back, 52mm throttle body, 1.6 rocker arms, LT4 valvesprings, LT4 timing chain andcustom intake with k&n filter. So give that a go, looks like a good set up.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

yea thx ill probly go with headers to start off with.. im assuming shorties will work? the only problem is the labor involved... but thx for the info

Old 01-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Droid

That stuff will work fine, but it is not exactly low budget, LOL

Old 01-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Overdrive Member

Shorty headers will get you about the same power as LT's, but only if you get an aftermarket mandrel bent Y pipe. My suggestion is, if you're putting in all the work to get the old system off, and putting a new system on, you might as well get good quality LT headers and Y pipe and spend about the same amount of time under the car. Just my $0.02.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

Shorty headers will get you about the same power as LT's, but only if you get an aftermarket mandrel bent Y pipe. My suggestion is, if you're putting in all the work to get the old system off, and putting a new system on, you might as well get good quality LT headers and Y pipe and spend about the same amount of time under the car. Just my $0.02.
yea thats true... but what would be the difference in power, or is it noticeable? i found a set of uncoated pacesetter shorties for about 200, would these be even worth thinking about getting? thx

Old 01-28-2007, 04:19 AM
Overdrive Member

Having shorty headers that bolt up to the stock Y pipe are useless. The Y is crazy restrictive, so the only way you'll ever get anything out of headers is if you replace the Y with a good one. As I already stated, I think shorties are a waste of time and money, again, there really is no difference in HP, but there is in low end torque, and yes, you'll be able to tell a difference. If I were you, I'd either get a good set of stainless headers or coated, that way you don't have to worry about them rusting out and having to replace them in the future.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yea id go with long tubed headers coated( worth the time and money), and a set of 3.73's or 4.11's depending how gas crazy you are.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:37 PM

I was told that with the long tube that there is an isue with rubbing espicaly when going over sped bumbs/humps and train tracks. Arizona speed and marine make a mid length header that is suposed to be prety good (looking inot them myself) and in place of the lt4 cams and heads you could go with a better set up and get the LE2 cams and heads thats just my opinion though. I belive it might cost more and you should get more bang for your buck though

Quick Reply: need more power