Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   LT1/LT4 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/)
-   -   Need cable w/RS232 connector to ALDL connector for my '94. (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/need-cable-w-rs232-connector-aldl-connector-my-94-a-79431/)

cardo 11-13-2015 12:25 PM

Need cable w/RS232 connector to ALDL connector for my '94.

So i get my Tuner CATS software w/cable for my '94 but it has a USB interface - which is something i tried to avoid. Ive read bad of the USB interfaces so i bought a older laptop w/RS232 port to avoid any serial comm issues. Tuner CATs say what i got is what i get.:icon_present: Well im still thinking the older laptop speed is better matchup to my PCM and the fact i bought 2 same model laptops for this i dont want to go the USB route.

Anyone selling a good RS232 to ALDL cable?

GaryDoug 11-13-2015 09:30 PM

You may have to make one. There are only a few parts (2 transistors [2n3904 or similar], 1 diode, and 3 resistors) not including the connectors.

cardo 11-13-2015 10:38 PM

Makes me wonder if it could be as easy as DB25 to DB9 connector conversion. The USB to serial converter is on a DB25 connector. But i dont see any circuit/box on upstream of the DB25 on my CATS cable. What is the pinout for the DB25 connector? OK i see it below the DB9 pin out. Im thinkn i still need a "interface circuit" regardless of connectors.

Really dont want to build a circuit now.

GaryDoug 11-13-2015 10:48 PM

Use a multimeter to check continuity from pin M on the 12 pin connector. If it goes straight through to a pin on the DB25, then there isn't any interface circuit inside. If it doesn't, there may be one in one of the connector bodies.

cardo 11-15-2015 12:20 PM

This converter/interface for even the RS232 cable is a game changer. It destroyes the thought of reduced signal conversion. Now im thinking just going with modern touch screen laptop w/large batt life and big 15" screen. I see nice laptops under 300 bucks. I only get to load this version of Tuner CATS once so i want a dedicated computer that will be current hardware and software wise for quite a while.

Hoping pricing gets better by Black Friday. Any precautions or suggestions? USB driven now? Forget the RS232?

GaryDoug 11-15-2015 01:15 PM

I don't know what you mean by reduced signal conversion. The output circuit is open collector. It will drive any voltage from 1 to about 100 volts (the limit of the transistor). The input is similar, any input from maybe 3 volts and up. RS232 doesn't require a 12v signal operation, it's just typical. The R2 component in the schematic is optional. Personally I would prefer the faster speed of the newer pc's and operating systems. Does Tuner Cats work for Win 7, 8, or 10?

cardo 11-15-2015 02:11 PM

Good question on the OS. The instructions only address WIN 7 and WIN 8 but that doesnt means it wont run on WIN 10 or that the instructions havent been updated. I need to contact Tuner CATS again.

What i mean by reducing signal conversion(s) is that anytime u add an interface - even connector contacts let alone signal modifier/converter/repeater - u add the possibility of a data bit error or signal loss. And that RS232 interface doesnt call out any part numbers which leaves open the question of component specifications. Response time? Thermal effects? I prefer something vendor developed and proven. I dont want to troubleshoot my equipment while im trying to troubleshoot my tune.

cardo 11-15-2015 02:14 PM

BTW i havent used WIN 8 at all but heard a lot of disappointments with it though it supposed to be touch screen operable. Im guessing WIN 10 is a better product and touch screen friendly. Any suggestion or experience with either?

GaryDoug 11-15-2015 02:29 PM

If you buy something with Win 8, you can immediately upgrade to 8.1 for free. Once you have 8.1, you can upgrade to Win 10 for free for up to about a year from now. I highly recommend doing that. Win 8 or 8.1 is a mess in my opinion. Win 10 has the same capability but drops back to the friendlier Win 7 user interface.

The reason you don't see any specs or part numbers is because virtually all transistors have a bandwidth in the many, many megaHertz range. Minimum of about 20 Mhz. Way faster than the 8.192 kiloHertz rate required for the PCM. For example, the 2N3904 (very common) has a minimum of 300 MHz.