LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

My not so new 95 z28...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Default My not so new 95 z28...

I have lots of plans for this car but I will be the first to admit I know the minimum amount of how, when, or if I should even do some of the things I'm planning. I have already done much cleaning up on the car, simple things to make it look and feel better but have not opened it up for expansion.

Right now it is completely stock aside from a k/n CAI which doesn't seem like much of anything at all. I am fully ready to invest in this car because I have found the 5th generation to be a bit...disappointing. I do not care for body kits, ridiculous paint jobs, or things that would require me to take the engine apart (beyond a basic rebuild).

The list of things I'd like to achieve
-more power
-better sound
-better look
-keep it simple

I am open to all pointers, a,though I constantly research paint jobs, rims, and hoods I want to focus on the engine first. I am looking for parts, brands, prices...pretty much any information anyone has out of experience or further insight that I lack. All replies are appreciated.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by suembeaux
I have lots of plans for this car but I will be the first to admit I know the minimum amount of how, when, or if I should even do some of the things I'm planning. I have already done much cleaning up on the car, simple things to make it look and feel better but have not opened it up for expansion.

Right now it is completely stock aside from a k/n CAI which doesn't seem like much of anything at all. I am fully ready to invest in this car because I have found the 5th generation to be a bit...disappointing. I do not care for body kits, ridiculous paint jobs, or things that would require me to take the engine apart (beyond a basic rebuild).

The list of things I'd like to achieve
-more power
-better sound
-better look
-keep it simple

I am open to all pointers, a,though I constantly research paint jobs, rims, and hoods I want to focus on the engine first. I am looking for parts, brands, prices...pretty much any information anyone has out of experience or further insight that I lack. All replies are appreciated.
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more and get some seat covers for those torn front buckets.

Coverking has good ones for $150 for the pair and they fit like a glove

more power??? covered exhaustively on this and other forums. use the search feature and be honest about your actual on-hand cash

Auto Body Shop | Collision Center | Car Painting | Auto Body Repair | Maaco

sand it yourself, primer it yourself and get a cheap paint job

eBay | Electronics, Cars, Clothing, Collectibles and More Online Shopping

look for oeconcepts as they have the best deals for wheels/tire packages. Those saw blade stock rims look like crapola 17x9.5 wheels with 275 40 17's are nice packages for these cars

Performance Auto Parts and Truck Accessories

get new shocks

JEGS Performance Auto Parts - Holley - Billet Specialties - Edelbrock - MSD - Moroso - Mr Gasket

the yellow 8mm spark plug wires are just fine and cost about $40

Advance Auto Parts: Car, Engine, Batteries, Brakes, Replacement, Performance & Accessories

what ever spark plugs are on sale

ALDL OBD1 OBD cable OBDI OBD2 engine codes

buy the cable

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

buy the tune

Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear member

Let's see some pics

Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 AM

Wow thank you so much, to be honest I'm just a kid looking for all the information I can possibly get my hands on right now because although I have many mechanic friends and connections I feel like they just talk expecting me to understand and I can't always keep up. I'll post pictures soon! I also have an 89 firebird formula, with a 305, not a 350 I will post pictures of as well.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Although they can be a huge pain to work on, the nice thing with the LT1 engines is how well they take mods. It should be relatively easy for you to meet and exceed all your requirements while still being on a budget. If you know someone that is willing to help you install parts for you, definitely try to buy online. It will save you hundreds of dollars. For example, I went to a shop to get an estimate on a "premium brake package" which they said would cost around $1200-$1500 for parts and labor. I was able to customize a higher end package online for nearly half that cost. It just makes more sense to go that way...

Some sites I can recommend are:
- Sonic Electronix (stereo stuff)
- Amazon
- Ebay (for price, just make sure you know what you're buying)
- Autoanything
- Stranoparts.com (Excellent Performance Parts, good price range)

I can definitely recommend Magnaflow exhaust systems for your Z. I had it installed on mine and it sounds absolutely awesome; nice low rumble when idling/regular driving, but you can definitely hear it when you let it rip. Plus, its stainless steel so you don't have to worry about it rusting out.

Good luck with your build!

Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 AM

so its been a while, sorry guys to start this thread and just let it fall through. I've had some problems with my camaro over heating the last couple days and sadly I blew a head gasket today. It seems this is the end to my z for now, looking to replace it with something similar, but maybe foreign. Can't stand seeing my camaro the way it is due to small mistakes on my end, a bit of false information, and a load of mistakes from the previous owner. My parents have decided to help me get something a bit more reliable and fuel efficient. Luckily they realize the z isn't worth anything in the state its in so I'm keeping it with hopes of restoring life to it in the months to come. Hopefully with a bit more money, and a bit more know-how I can get it going better than it was. For the moment though, its back to the trusty formula 305 for point a to point b transportation.

also--and I may get run out of this forum for asking this, but I've been looking at a 90 300zx twin turbo, a 92 vw Corrado, and a 99t/a. All about the same price, all pretty equal on performance, corrado being the worst of the three. Any unbiased opinions? I grew up in an f body and have owned 3 since, should I stick with the trend? Or is something new/different better for me?

Last edited by suembeaux; 10-04-2011 at 04:09 AM.