LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

my 1993 z28 wont start in cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default my 1993 z28 wont start in cold

i just want to know what could be wrong..im an idiot with cars so yeah...umm for a while before it got real cold out (10degrees) my car would have lil trouble starting but after cranking few times it would start and stay running, yesterday my car wouldnt start after like 100 cranks. today it did first try and i drove my car home right when i put it into park it died. had to push into garage which is a hard time in snow. so ya maybe its the starter? wires for the starter? idk need my car to go to work and school. please leave suggestions <3
oh and my ABS thing is lit up now...never was before

Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

whats the voltage like (actually put a volt meter on the battery the gauge is not accurate at all) when it wont start is it turning over good but not firing or not turning over

Old 01-13-2012, 04:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

tried jumping the car thats never been the problem, when i turn it over it does make a click sound from somewhere else in car, sorry i dont know much about cars

Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

to me it sounds like a weak battery or dying starter the cold effects the performance of the battery but if it still does it with a jump that that kinda sounds like the starter

Old 01-13-2012, 04:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ya so i need a new starter...saw one on craigslist for 60 bucks, compared to 200 brand new...should i get it? but then i dont have anyone to change them...lol

Old 01-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

the starter is really easy to change but first id pull it and take it to autozone they can test it just to make sure (id get the battery tested too) its all free then if it is shot get a new one id suggest getting one from a junkyard with a warranty then go straight from the yard to autozone and get it tested

to get the old one off unhook the battery
jack up the car and support it
the starter is on the pasanger side of the engine in the back corner
theres 2 15mm bolts (i think there 15mm) unbolt them
then on the back of the starter you see 3 nuts 2 big (maybe 14mm) and one small (8mm)
unbolt the small nut and the 1 bigger nut that has the battery cable running to it
wiggle the starter out and you done

just read this in reverse to put it back in

Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
4th Gear Member

If you take it some where to test, ask them to do a full system check. It'll check the battery, starter, alternator, and see if anythings causing a drain on the system.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

first try cleaning the battery terminals and cable ends. take the cables off and wire brush the heck outa the terminals and cable ends. while your at it clean the wire ends and such on the power junction box (small plastic red box) and ground junction. they are next to the battery on the fenderwell. if this does not help then take the battery and or starter in the be tested.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

could it just be loose wire? car broke down at gf's house (20miles away) so i cant check atm but ya i heard it could be loose wire on starter or something idk, i think ill get battery tested and starter tho

Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

as time goes by the battery terminals and cable ends can develope a layer of carbon that looks like its ok. it can cause the two to not connect even though the bolts are tight. and yes it could be a lose wire on the starter or bad wire or the starter itself could be lose causing it to not ground.

Quick Reply: my 1993 z28 wont start in cold