LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

missing

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Default missing

well the other morning on the way to work or rather when i warmed up my 95 z28, i noticed it had a slight hesitation or miss. thought it would clear out on the hwy but nope. its been very cold here but its never been a problem before and i run shell 93 octane in it. i got headers on it a while back and every since then i think im running a tad lean and im wondering if iv fouled a plug. also i dont think the opti has ever been changed on the car and it has 136k on it. im thinking either a bad plug, plug wire, or the opti. i havent had time to mess with it yet but i will get to tomarrow so i thought id get some other ideas from u guys if you could think of anything. im really hoping the plugs will be easier with headers, as it kinda looks that way.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: missing

i would start with the plugs and wires and if the problem persists it could be the opti.If its running a bit lean it could also be the 02 sensors but that wouldnt cause a miss.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Overdrive Member

If the problem only started after you installed headers I'd check to make sure you haven't burn through any of your plug wires, also check the boots, they have a tendency to run pretty close to the header primaries (at least with my headers), you should pick up some heat shields for them (they have them at GM dealerships, they're pretty cheap and they work great, I have one on every single plug.)

Old 12-18-2008, 05:46 AM

yup slvr i have those heat shields on and they are nice because your right they do run very close the the primaries. the problem started about 3 months after the header install, i was just saying hopefully with the headers it would be easier to get to the plugs slvr after your header install did you ever have a tune or did your air fuel ratio straighten out on its own? mine got a lot btr within about an hour of running but i still think it smells a bit diff from norm exhaust. (lean)

Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Overdrive Member

I never got mine tuned (Head/cam stuff is in the future plans so it's going to get fully dyno tuned), but mine usually smells like it's running maybe a tad rich, but it's never smelled lean. You could also check to make sure the fuel filter isn't clogged and other general maintenance sort of things. You're going to want to do all of those before you drop the money and time on replacing the opti.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:35 PM

ok ty, and your right i meant rich, but it always seems to run just fine.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:07 PM

well i found out the problem, one of my plugs had come loose, just enough to make it miss, im gonna tighten them all just to be safe. by the way slvr, how in the world do you get the oil filter off now with the LT headers, holy crap its tough, i cant get mine yet.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Overdrive Member

Well, I bought an oil filter wrench from my local auto-parts store that works ok, instead of the metallic band it was a U shape with teeth that kinda grip on the filter. If you're in a pinch take your oil drain pan and put it under the filter (have a rag ready) and hammer a screw driver through the bottom of the filter and let the oil drain out the bottom. You can then hammer the screw driver through the side of the filter and get it lose that way. The best alternative is an oil filter wrench from Snap-On, the style that had a band that you tighten down (no handle) and then put a socket onto it to get it loose, this way you can use an extension and get the thing off there.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM

ok ty, ill look for that band by snap on or something close, i had thought about hammering a screw driver thru the filter but honeslty its so cold out i didnt feel like messin with it any more, lol maby over the weekend, thanx for the advice.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Overdrive Member

Quick Reply: missing