LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT5 and Dual CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
I see what you are getting at Gorn. But you do have to remember you're comparing a 90s ZR1 to a '09. 19 years difference. So one could only hope that in almost two decades the ZR1 would be better. But at that time, the LT5 was a pretty great advancement.

Chances are, I will never have the time or money to convert a fourth gen Camaro to a LT5. While I could (if I had the money) spend the money to just buy a Vette that all ready has the LT5, I like Camaros more. That's why I got the idea. A LT5 in a Camaro would a one of kind, certainly because very few people know about it and many more would not want to try and make it work. Say you were at a car show and someone at it had a LT5 in a nice fourth gen. Wouldn't you stop and take a few looks at it and talk to the owner? I certainly would.
An LS swap of any kind is usually the first thought that comes to peoples minds. And to say I have an LT5 would be make me feel special (more special than I do at other times).

I do enjoy everyone's input on this though.

Gorn, out of curiosity, how was that test drive?

so you just want a warm fuzzy feeling thinking about how special your car is... i see...

Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Gorn, out of curiosity, how was that test drive?
I was just a passenger, but coming out of the L98 world it was insane amount of torque. We even drove it on public roads, I am sure most of the guys thought the flat white vet has a supercharger in it based on the noise that 90mm belt made.

About 2 years later the first ZR1 showed up at the dealership and I thought hey I am the foremen so this one is mine for test driving. (all new cars must be driven on the road by a GM techs first) But no, the service manager drove it, he was not a tech! but since he was my boss who could I complain too? Looking back that was a good decision on his part.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BudBrown
so you just want a warm fuzzy feeling thinking about how special your car is... i see...
Pretty much. haha. I kinda wanna put that in my sig.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:22 PM
4th Gear Member

I still would have snuck a test drive. The way you describe makes it sound pretty insane.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 PM
2nd Gear member

I would come talk to you at a car show if you had a Corvette ZR-1 or a Camaro with an LT5.

With my starry eyes growing up the Corvette ZR-1 was my dream car.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by vanquishfist
With my starry eyes growing up the Corvette ZR-1 was my dream car.
Funny thing is growing up in the 70's my dearm car was a second gen with a turbo and a 5 speed that could go 150 MPH.... Back then NO street legal car had ever gone 200 MPH. Then in the early 80s a guy did it in a street legal 3rd Gen on the salt flats. Now a stock Vet can do it in a 2.5 mile road course. That is insane that my dream car could get blown away by a stock vett. Time to up the dream

Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 PM
4th Gear Member

I'm not a fan of foreign vehicles. I respect some, but very few. But you could always dream of driving a Bugatti Veyron. Top speed is 268 mph, with a 1200 horsepower W16 quad turbo, 8 speed tranny and all wheel drive. How's that for a dream car? Hahaha.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:42 AM
2nd Gear member

Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
I'm not a fan of foreign vehicles. I respect some, but very few. But you could always dream of driving a Bugatti Veyron. Top speed is 268 mph, with a 1200 horsepower W16 quad turbo, 8 speed tranny and all wheel drive. How's that for a dream car? Hahaha.
gross... it actually is not appealing at all, the $$ involved makes it repulsive, just like the pagani zonda, and the mclaren, and the saleen... any car that you have to pay for monthly service on... and sign it into your contract that they can come take it if you dont, is dumb...

I want a car i can take apart if i want to...

Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 PM
4th Gear Member

I'd just want to drive one around Daytona or Talladega, not actually own it. They are ugly looking but fast. Besides, imagine DD that thing. Instead of miles per gallon, it'd gallons per mile. You'd probably pay a 1/4 of what it cost to buy it, in gas, in one year.

Quick Reply: LT5 and Dual CAI