LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 giving me fits

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Default LT1 giving me fits

My one symptom has been ongoing for months now.I can be driving and if I slow down to go in a curve and try to get back on the gas my car sounds like it drops a gear or stumbles or something.Also does this straight driving if I am in a lower gear.But last week it really started pitching fits.I first noticed it when I came to yield to traffic.I had got slowed down to 2nd gear and when I pulled out into traffic my car did not want to barley go.Gas pedal felt like it was hard to push and was just hard to get going.Next time it done this I pushed the gas pedal hard and it finally kick in and scared me a bit because it had so much power like nothing was wrong.Also when I was sitting a gas station for a breif period of time with car in gear.It tried to take off with me and was jerking with brake held.Also did this in reverse like it was trying to cut off.Runs good in park or Neutral.And will not hardley pull a hill from a stop,but pulls good going straight.You can tell though it still a little sluggish.Runs great in the higher speed range.Like 55 or 60.But every now and then I feel a slight jerk when cruising.I have already to it took trans shop and trans is fine.He said it's in the motor.Any suggestions?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Also forgot to mention it's hard to start cold and sometimes when it starts it idles up to around 2000 or 2500 rpms and smells flooded.Does this every so often warm to.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:45 AM

Okay I just checked fuel pressure which has gave me problems for awhile.I turn the key on engine not running and pressure goes up to 40 or 41 psi,but rapidly drops to zero.I have already replaced fule pump twice,changed filter and it has new regulator,Can injectors cause this?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by SandysLT1
Okay I just checked fuel pressure which has gave me problems for awhile.I turn the key on engine not running and pressure goes up to 40 or 41 psi,but rapidly drops to zero.I have already replaced fule pump twice,changed filter and it has new regulator,Can injectors cause this?
Are they leaking? And what year is your car and is your SES light on?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:08 PM

The last time I checked them they were not leaking.That has been over a year ago.My car is a 1994 Camaro Z28.Light is not on.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a bad check ball in the pump or a failed regulator. When mine did this it was the pump.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test your pressure, number 33 on the list here 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids you need to see what the pressure is doing when the problem is happeing. is this a auto trans? what year?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:10 PM

It's a 94' automatic.Regulator is fairly new.It has had two fuel pumps trying to fix the problem and filter.I haven't took the car down the road with gauge on.It's not long enough for me to see it though window.Checking it at home it pressures up to 40 psi with key on engine not running and quickly drops to zero.Start car and it idles at around 32 psi.Took vacuum off regulator and pressure goes back to 40psi.Give it throttle and it decreces a little.I don't know what I'm missing.Its hard to start cold and when hot sometimes after about ten minutes of shut down it's a liitle sluggish to start but not as bad and it starts hard with rpms going up to 2000 or 2500 and I can smell sweet fuel at this time.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

first look for any fuel leaks along the fuel line as it goes back to the tank. big fuel line is pressurized so its the one to look closely at. there is also a return line and a evap line. may as well look at them as you go back. it does sound like a bad pump, what pump was used, the cheap pumps are known for short lifespans.
you can test the fuel pressure regulator. i didnt have the needed shut off stuff so i used some vise grips and some card board (so not to crack plastic line) to clamp the return line. i doubled the card board over and put it over the fuel return (smaller) line and clamped as lightly as i could so to have it shut off the flow. i slid the cover to the fuel line up so i could access fuel line that had not been open to the enviroment, thinking that it would not crack as easily as the line that was in the open. i then used the fuel pump jumper wire to turn the pump on with the fuel pressure gage hooked up. the pressure on mine did not drop till i removed the clamp. i went through three regulators before i got one that worked right.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 AM

I am very scared to clamp my hoses.I thought of taking my stethoscope or however you spell that and listening for fuel running back through the lines.Not sure if you would be able to though for the thick hoses.We have check all lines already for leaks.My first pump I bought was a Bosch for the same problem I am having now.It made it a little over a year before the connecter on the pump side starting leaking.Now I have a Airtech pump and it has been on for six months.I can't say this fixed my problem when I bought this one as we cut the fuel pressure gauge hose to try and fix the Bosch pump before buying Airtech.My fuel regulator is around six months old to.I can't remember what name it was though.I am going in a little bit if the cold weather warms up and see if I can see or hear the injectors leaking.I will be saving for new ones anyway as they are original and have...uh don't freak out...lol 251,000 miles on them

Quick Reply: LT1 giving me fits