LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

loudd!!! what should i do for the loudest exhaust guys ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default loudd!!! what should i do for the loudest exhaust guys ?

you guys are probably like *sigh* not again lol, but what should i do to my stock exhaust (96 Z) to make it really loud, I've heard slp loudmouth, cut out catalytic converters etc... but what do you guys think would give me the loudest sound without sacrificing fuel economy obviously, thanks guys !!!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:40 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: loudd!!! what should i do for the loudest exhaust guys ?

I have 3 inch Y back, no cat, havent had my car up to look and see if my muffler is stock or not and basically you can hear my car coming from blocks away and within like a 5ft radius of my tailpipes you can feel a faint rumble in the ground. Ive been told several times my car sounds like a semi truck on steroids.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member

cool man, I was wondering, until i save up some cash on the side to do a full exhaust, do you think i should just replace/ gut the cats ? will this affect the 96' o2 sensors after the cat?, and if/after i mess with the cats, what muffler should i put on I honestly want it real loud like you said, but not 'open header loud' you know. thanks !!!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:40 PM
4th Gear Member

Honestly, if you dont have to worry about emissions just get a 3inch system and dont install a cat, im looking to get a Magnaflow catback, pacesetter headers but ive got emissions so im going the hi flow cat route.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: Pro_built7

cool man, I was wondering, until i save up some cash on the side to do a full exhaust, do you think i should just replace/ gut the cats ? will this affect the 96' o2 sensors after the cat?, and if/after i mess with the cats, what muffler should i put on I honestly want it real loud like you said, but not 'open header loud' you know. thanks !!!
If you have O2 sensors after the cat, all they are used for are to monitor performance of the cat. If you remove or gut the cat, then it would probably set off a Service Engine Soon light. To fix this they have O2 simulators, or you can have someone delete them in a tune.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I've never heard of o2 simulators? and how would i just get rid of the useless o2 sensors after the cat on my own? thanks guys, btw no i do not have to worry about emissions testing, so what do you think exhaust wise ?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Overdrive Member

All the "simulators" do are plug in between the harness and O2 sensor, so as to tell the computer that everything is ok. Don't use on the ones before cat though, as those are used to adjust fuel trims.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Overdrive Member

As far as the loudest exhaust you can get without sacrificing anything, open headers are pretty damn loud...of course be ready to get a lot of noise violation tickets!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:18 AM
2nd Gear member

I would suggest just getting a nice exhaust system that sounds good, dont go into it thinking you want it LOUD- I have gone that route, and while it is fun for a bit, once the novelty wears off all that noise can get annoying. I ran true duals with two chamber flowmaster race mufflers on my 440 Sport Fury, and while it was fun for a bit it became obnoxious pretty quickly. Any aftermarket exhaust that flows better is going to give you more of a performance tone, I would focus on getting the best system for the buck, that will fit best and work well on your car. There are tons of guys on here that could tell you what the best all around setup is for your car- I would just go with what is tried and true.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Overdrive Member

Sorry if anyone didn't sense the sarcasm of my last post(it was kinda late ok...), anyway, M*******LT1's point is what I was kinda trying to get at. It's one thing to have a nice loud (a loud that you can listen to the radio if you want to, but sometimes you just want to listen to the car) versus having something that's ridiculous (where you can't hear the radio to save your life). I personally think my exhaust is almost the perfect loud (yes, I'm trying to get sound clips, but I have to get a video camera from someone first). Don't just go for loud, you want to go for tone as well. With a full header back exhaust (headers, Y pipe, cat-back) you can get plenty loud but retain a good tone along with it. My current exhaust is loud enough that you can hear my car from about a 1/4 mile away even if you aren't listening for it, when I started my car with the "loudest exhaust possible" (open headers) it was loud enough that I could hardly hear my friend talking next to me and the sound of the exhaust was shaking the concrete floor in my garage, and that was just idling.

Quick Reply: loudd!!! what should i do for the loudest exhaust guys ?