LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Looking to Buy New Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Looking to Buy New Plug Wires

Hey everyone.

I'm thinking about buying some new plug wires. I think this time I want to do over the valve plug wires.

What does everyone think of those ?

Any suggestions?

I was looking at these MSD wires too: I don't think these are over the valve though:

MSD Ignition Wire Set, Super Cond., LT1 Camaro 93-96

I think my wires I bought are arching. They are so thick that I can't fit them in the stock places. So I was thinking about changing.

I was hoping maybe the over the valve wires would prevent any arching.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

from what ive seen you will want to build the wires to do the over the valve cover route. im looking at doing the same thing. like the looks and a guy doesnt have that, are my wires arching question in the back of your mind.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Where do you get the wires to build them ?

An auto parts store ?

Or is there a good online place ?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i looked at these so far. im takin my time on it.
1993-1997 LT1 F-Body Spark Plug Wires from Thunder Racing

Old 03-24-2011, 07:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice !

Thanks man for that page....

Hey did you get top mount or side mount looms ?

I think I wanna get top mount. I like the way they look.

100 bucks isn't bad either !

Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah i like the top mount style too.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I took the car out the other night and got it up to operating temperature. Then I turned all the lights off and looked at the wires. There were a couple of wires that were arching. Especially the number 8 wire.

The wire kit from Thunder Racing came in yesterday....I only live 150 miles from their store.

I'm gonna work on getting them put on next week.

My friend told me to check the wires at night. What a great way to see if the wire is going to arch or not !

Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep ive used that way for many years. one time the motor looked like a 70's light show, every wire was lit up. these motors are harder to see the wires though so you can only imagine where else it is lighting up. let us know how the install goes and post up some pic's

Old 03-31-2011, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Well today was the first day working on the plug wires. I would for sure say the Camaro won today !

I started out on the passenger side on the #8 cylinder.

That's after I decided on which direction I wanted the looms facing.

I finally said they would face down....After I had the looms and brackets all situated. I ran the first wire...The longest wire.....The I put the alternator half on just to see clearance. I ran the wire down, and marked it. Then I TRIED to put the boot on over the wires. Man that took me 45 minutes to get the boot slid over. I put some needle nose pliers on one end and slid the boot up and down while on the other end sliding the wire on. FINALLY ! it went on. Then I crimped the wire....Only to realize I crimped the wrong connector ! It was the 90 degrees connector..Oops...So I cut the wire and restripped it. Then I crimped the RIGHT one ! I plugged it in to the Opti. Then I was gonna start on #6 but I couldn't get the plug onto the sparkplug without taking the dipstick bolt off....I'll remove the bolt tomorrow so I can move the stick around.

Then I realized....I forgot to put the boot on over the plug on the spark plug.

So I finally decided to scrap the wire. I'm gonna start over tomorrow. I'm hoping it will go smoother since today I kinda got the feel of things.

Idk if I can buy just 1 plugwire...They gave me an extra, but it may not be long enough. I dont know yet....We'll see...

So day 1 was rough.

Hopefully tomorrow is better.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure how to post pictures directly onto the forum. So here are the links from imageshack. How do you post pics onto the forum ?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting Everything removed before starting.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting The brackets and looms are on

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy New Plug Wires