LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

lookin for some expert input

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Default lookin for some expert input

So i stumbled across a 95 z28 for like 1700. It has a blown rod bearing, but the good news it that the entire top end has been rebuilt(lt4 hotcam and all of its goodies that go with it. Newish upraded tranny with goodies,and also has a full exaust and upgraded suspension all the way around.

my theory and question would be is it cheaper assuming the block isnt trashed to just change all the bearings and rework the crankshaft or buy a brand new block like such "http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250322013145&category= 33615&viewitem= " and just rebuild the motor from the ground up putting the lt4 kit from the old engine?

any suggestions? sort of limited budget, around 2800 after buying the camaro it

Old 02-23-2009, 08:37 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

you won't know if the block is trashed until you tear it all apart, in which case you would have already had to buy the car and would be in a jam. if you look pretty hard, you can find nicely done lt1 cars for about 5 grand

Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Go into it figuring a worse case scenario. Then if it doesn't need everything you guessed it might be, you're better off. But, you can't diagnose a repair without looking inside. You may need a new crank, or you might luck out with just getting it ground. Same for the rod.
Oh, and a rod bearing doesn't "blow", it spins and hacks up the crank rod journal as it spins. A rod blows, breaking things into pieces, and can take out other internal components in the process as well as sometimes the block (you would see a hole in the side of the block along with a mess of oil). You might want to get the "blown rod bearing" terminology cleared up from the seller first.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

1700 doesn't sound bad if indeed it does have all of the mods you mentioned. Only thing that bugs me though is if this car was beat up so bad and that's the reason for the spun bearing? If that's the case then you may have more damage or soon to be damage from that. I'd show him $1000 and see if they'll take that. Hopefully you know LT1's to do the work yourself.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear member

Well I would say get one that doesn't need the work done. I bought my 94 because it only 2400, previous owner said it didn't need a lot of work and so I thought for a little bit of time and money I would have a great car. Come to find out it needed a water pump, optispark, and a cat just to get the thing going. Then I had to have the transmission rebuilt because it did not lock into reverse. So I mean total I am into the car only about 3500 bucks but it would of been worth the money to spend another 5000 and not had to worry about it. But if you really need to save the cash go for it.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Overdrive Member

I'll pitch in my $0.02...

I wouldn't go for a used car that needs work, although LT1's have a tendency to spin bearings this is usually indicative of the car being driven hard on a regular basis. A spun bearing will probably be just the beginning of your problems. If you go for this car you need to plan on doing a full overhaul, probably assume the transmission is going to go bad as well as the rear end just to pad yourself financially. Honestly you'll probably be better off trying to find a car that's been babied it's whole life by some old lady. You'll have to pay more for it at the beginning, but you're not going to have nearly as much work to do...

Old 02-24-2009, 02:04 PM

well the transmission is a performabuilt satge 1 with 15,000 miles on it.
i would be a lil concerned about the rear end but u can pick those up anywhere out of wrecked camaros

Obviously ill be doing a pretty extensive search on the car to see if all these modifications are there but we will see.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM
4th Gear Member

are the rims aftermarket such as 17's or larger? Are the tires in good shape? if so, that in itself is worth $500-$1,000 depending on what they are and how much tread is left.

Next, is the exterior and interior in good shape? Does the Bose unit work including the CD player? Do the window motors both work? if the answer is yes to all of that then you should offer somewhere between $1k and the $1700. Just haggle with him.

If you can be without the car for a few months, put it on stands and tear down the engine.

You could end up with a decent, fun vehicle for around $5,000- $6,000 and have it how you want it.

I bought my 95Z with great body/interior/rebuilt engine a few months ago for $3k and after wheels/tires/brake pads, calipers, rotors/opti/water pump/ catback/ cat delete/ CAI/ radiator/ stereo/ plugs/ wires/ window motor/ stripes/hoses and belt...I'm probably around $6500 total for a vehicle in very good shape.

Now if I wasn't giving the car to my son in May then I'd also have LT headers (yeh, I'd try again and actually get them on this time) cam, heads sent out and worked, gears and rebuild the tranny/ add high stall converter and aluminum driveshaft.

So the above would be a few $ thousand more. If you get your hands on a vehicle that has many of those items but the engine might need to be torn down, then you need to do the math and decide if you have the patience/time and whether or not you would come in for less or more $$ than where I am.

Now please dont' start flaming me about what a mean Dad I am not wanting junior to have 400WHP for his first car.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:54 PM

why dont i just let everyone take a look at what hes got

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1047406940.html

Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Aggghh, and just to think I traded in my Mystic Teal 95 Z28 with 120k miles, new head gaskets, rear main gaskets, water pump and a $1200.00 tune up to the stealership for $1500.00 back in 02'. The dang car ran perfect!

*bangs head against the wall and vomits*

Quick Reply: lookin for some expert input