LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

lil more help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default lil more help

i been askin question since i got my camaro trying to figure out what to do and how to do it. Im getting pacesetter long tube headers, hypertech programmer, 58mm throttle body, cc 306 cam kit, stall converter, CAI, and heads. do it matter what kind of heads i get? what kind of heads would you recommend? and will rebuilding my stock transmission be good or should i upgrade? this is about all i plan on doing.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Overdrive Member

NOt really sure about the LT1 heads and how well they perform but I hear that the LT4 heads are better flowing. You may also want to consider how many miles the engine has on it before rebuilding the top end like you are talking here. If you build the top end too much you will greatly shorten the life of the engine by putting too much stress on the tired lower end.

The stock tranny should be good unless you are planning on putting out over 400hp then I would consider upgrading. Also a high stall converter will put more stress on the trans so be careful how much stall you get. Also a high stall will make the car kinda jerky when you start from a dead stop, like you dumped the clutch too hard. Maybe Craby can put some better info here, I believe he has tweaked his LT1 a little.

Massey

Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 AM
1st Gear Member

im unsure about the stall converter. somebody on here said i would need one since i was gonna do a cam. what can i do to the lower end? i was told the motor was rebuilt at 100,xxx. its at 170,xx now. im jus doin this stuff based on the info i get offa this site

Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Overdrive Member

Lower end usually means bore and hone the block (or just a hone if the bores are still good) pistons, rings and bearings. If you are just honing the block then rings and bearings. You will be putting more pressure on the lower end of the engine by modding the upper end and you want to make sure that you will not have a premature failure of the engine because of that.

Yes when you get a bumpier cam you will need a higher stall to get the most out of your new found power. CC should have info on what stall to use with that cam to get the best performance. If you go too high of a stall for your setup you get the jerkieness that I discribe above.

Massey

Old 01-10-2011, 01:47 PM
4th Gear Member

I'd want to know what the "rebuild" consisted of that was performed at 100k miles

Old 01-10-2011, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

after talkin to the guys at work and i think ima get a short block and start fresh. the guy who i got the car from dont know what kind of work was done. so ima play it safe. can i turn a sbc 350 into a lt1?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by sgtdupree
can i turn a sbc 350 into a lt1?

Nope!

The LT1 is a totally different block built for the opti distributor. The older SBCs dont have a provision for and opti and you cant fit an HEI dist. behind your firewall too well. Also the LT1 intake has no room for the HEI.

Massey

Old 01-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Overdrive Member

Here read this, it may help you with your rebuild

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...lt1_enige.aspx

Massey

Old 01-10-2011, 03:37 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

get your stock heads ported by lloyd elliott

as i've stated in previous threads, a yank ss3200-ss3600 will be good.(i have the ss3600 in my car).

you will probably want to change your gears to at least a 3:42 for the cam swap

a hypertech would be a complete waste of money. DO NOT BUY IT