LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Leak from Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pick up some headers. lol. thats were your leak is. were the black stuff is. u may very well need a new manifold. should be able to pick one up cheap if u cant make this one work. before u get to much into it take the exhaust off from the manifold from underneath. should be three nuts. then u will need to disconect the polution stuff and any other things that are connected to the exhaust manifold from the topside. there will be six bolts holding the manifold on, spray with some good penitration oil and let set overnight if posible before attempting to losen. aluminum is easy to mess up so need to be carful not to damage the head. if the head looks worn where it is leakin u may want to use a thicker gasket like a header gasket. and take lots of pictures before taking apart for referance.

Last edited by craby; 08-10-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
pick up some headers. lol. thats were your leak is. were the black stuff is. u may very well need a new manifold. should be able to pick one up cheap if u cant make this one work. before u get to much into it take the exhaust off from the manifold from underneath. should be three nuts. then u will need to disconect the polution stuff and any other things that are connected to the exhaust manifold from the topside. there will be six bolts holding the manifold on, spray with some good penitration oil and let set overnight if posible before attempting to losen. aluminum is easy to mess up so need to be carful not to damage the head. if the head looks worn where it is leakin u may want to use a thicker gasket like a header gasket. and take lots of pictures before taking apart for referance.
Well I already have aftermarket shorties... I think the only problem is the manifold could be warped or cracked... I hope neither but dont know what else could be causing the gasket to fry like that in one specific spot

Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 AM
4th Gear Member

Percy's Seal4Good

please take my advice. They will cure your ills as well as the common cold.

OK, maybe not the common cold but they are the best gaskets I've ever used and please don't make me reveal how may years that is.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:12 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sorry man, been posting to much and got crossed. forgot u had headers. yes headers can warp or bend. u are going to have to take it off and see how flat the gasket surface is and check for bad welds. im still lookin for a writeup on it for ya.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

this ones for long tube install. shortys are easier to get in or out. may be able to take out from the top.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/showt...header+install

Old 08-11-2009, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
this ones for long tube install. shortys are easier to get in or out. may be able to take out from the top.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/showt...header+install
yeah def for the driver side but passenger no way... but my problem is on the driver side anyway which is good

Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
Percy's Seal4Good

please take my advice. They will cure your ills as well as the common cold.

OK, maybe not the common cold but they are the best gaskets I've ever used and please don't make me reveal how may years that is.
Where do I get those at?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SixShooterCamaro
Where do I get those at?
I bought mine at the local speed shop but if you can wait

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHP-66031/

$31 and you spare doing the job a 2nd time. They are well worth it.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Good news guys... not a warped or cracked manifold... just as i thought the first time when the bolt was loose it separated the gasket, basically I just have to replace the gasket and make sure they are all tight... that is the last time I have one of my friends tighten up the bolts while I take a shower lol

Old 08-11-2009, 08:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

knowlage has a price. lol. good deal. the gaskets tig is talking about look like good gaskets. checked out the company website and it says there reusable so i think im going to use em when i do the big switch. got a lt1 in the gear shed that im putin together and when i can get it done and a trans from patc with a set of kooks im switchin the works all at the same time. if we get a good crab season next winter should be doin it in the spring.

Quick Reply: Leak from Headers...