LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Leak from Headers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
use a open ended wrench. u have to turn the wrench over with every turn, 16th of a full turn at a time or something like that. like i said really slow. depending on the room u have u may have to get some from underneath. i would invest in some smaller headed 16 sided header bolts.
Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I like using allen bolts for the headers. AutoZone even sells the allen intake manifold bolts, and they work for headers too. Now, I'm referring to a gen 1 engine, so I'm not sure if sizes are still the same between the two on an LT. But you can still get allen bolts separately for your headers. I cut down an allen wrench to make it a stubby to clear the tight bend tubes. They work much better and easier than the small head header bolts.
Awesome great advice guys its too dark to do now but ill do it first thing in the morning and keep you guys updated.. do you guys know what size and style of the caliper bolts are? is it a hex allan or a star key?

Old 08-08-2009, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

i took my open ended 7/16 wrentch and cut it in half to clear the other primaries. i also took my bench grinder to the closed in end and trimed it down. then i stuck my girlfriend under the car to pick em up when i dropped em every 1/4 turn. good luck man it sucks.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

theyre already allen bolts I couldnt see because it was night but I saw them today they look like 3/16 but im not sure I believe its Metric no SAE

Old 08-08-2009, 06:15 PM
4th Gear Member

if they are allen then you should be fine.

As for me, i dimpled the headers so it was easier to get a wrench onto the bolts

Oh, percys seal 4 good gaskets are your friend

Old 08-09-2009, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Alright I replaced my Mr. Gasket on there and it is still making that noise like its coming right from the header, I checked all the bolts and they are tight... I dont know what else this could cause this, any ideas?

Old 08-09-2009, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok I tightened up all the bolts as much as I can then torqued them a tiny bit... so the knocking leak noise doesnt happen at idle or when I rev up sitting in park... But once I put it in reverse or D, the damn thing has a tiny knock sound. When I accelerate it gets real bad... I was thinking it could be a lifter but if it was wouldnt it happen even at idle in park?

The sound is coming from the middle tubes of the headers and the block so I am not sure what it can be, can anyone shed some light on this matter because although it seems like I have my power back, its an annoying sound

Old 08-09-2009, 05:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how old are the headers. r u sure its not a hole thats rusted in the pipe. could be a bad gasket if u have one down further on the exhaust were the headers connect to the y pipe or there individual pipes.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Try the collectors that seal could be mistaken for a header gasket.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
how old are the headers. r u sure its not a hole thats rusted in the pipe. could be a bad gasket if u have one down further on the exhaust were the headers connect to the y pipe or there individual pipes.
Headers dont seem old, when i was underneath the car all I saw was a dent in the flange/down pipe connecting the headers to the driver side cat pipe... the noise seems more towards the top of the block than underneath the car, like literally the middle of the block where the headers connect the sound is coming from there, but the bolts are tightened and the gasket is sitting in place which is brand new... It gets real bad when youre accelerating, I just hope its not a lifter maybe wiggling because of the vibration...

It would make sense since the camaro would have less vibration in park than in Over D... Is it a pain to get to the lifters on these motors?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by carguylt1
Try the collectors that seal could be mistaken for a header gasket.
the collectors seal? I dont even know what that is...

But if this helps you know the pipe that leads into the first header piping? that thing is loose so im not sure how much effect it has on the problem...

Where are the collectors?

Quick Reply: Leak from Headers...