LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Just had Fuel Pump replaced on 95 camaro, MASSIVE loud "HUM/BUZZ" now??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Angry Just had Fuel Pump replaced on 95 camaro, MASSIVE loud "HUM/BUZZ" now??

Hi,

I have a 1995 camaro that has been out of commission for a few months because it needed a new fuel pump. I just got it out of the shop a few days ago, and immediately noticed that now there is a massive, LOUD, ANNOYING HUM/BUZZ/WHINE coming from the back end of the car. I mean, it's so loud I can hear it over the radio when the radio is turned way up...it's THAT loud, you can hardly concentrate while driving.

When I turn on anything the car, it seems the power surge makes the loud hum/buzz go lower for a few seconds, and then it cranks back up to a high HUM/BUZZ.

Took it back to the shop and they told me "they had hoped the sound would go away", and for me to drive it for a week and hopefully the sound would disappear.

They changed the pump, the fuel filter, the regulator, strainer, etc.

I'm not very happy to pay as much money as I did to get something fixed that now sounds like some kind of semi truck coming when driving....literally my husband was driving it down our block and I could hear the WHINE/BUZZ/HUM from our porch step.

It's not kosher......what could it be, because I'm taking it back to the shop and they are gonna fix it. They told me they put in a delphi fuel pump but I have a sneaking suspicion they put in a carter, even though I asked for a delphi. Mechanic asked me what kind I wanted, carter or delphi, I said delphi since it was the old factory brand.....

Now I'm curious if they will try to charge me labor again to fix the issue??

Did they put in a bad fuel pump or is this new fuel pump simply this loud?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:06 AM
4th Gear Member

hey, you paid for parts and labor. The best thing is to get a written record of every visit to the shop. If the noise doesn't go away, you pull out the records of your 2-3 visits there about the noise after their "repair"

they will probably end up doing warranty re-repair and make no money on the job; oh well.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:18 PM

does it make the sound when you turn on the ignition or only when the car is running?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Default Take the car back if you can

My old fuel pump in the gas tank made buzz sound kinda loud when I was out of town. And then it stop pumping gas about 2 days after. It sound like you may have 1 going bad. good luck