LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

If Not the LT4 Conversion Kit, what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A torque converter and gears don't increase h.p. numbers.
There ya go, Spec!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Who, me? :P

I know a higher torque converter/shorter gears don't add horsepower, in fact I know that a higher stall can potentially suck a little bit of power. But those two things allow you to use a more radical cam, which generally creates more power. More horsepower is an indirect effect of a higher stall. Potentially.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:09 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 95slvrZ28

And Wham, Pacesetter does make an ok budget header (I wouldn't complain if I got them for free either), but when you pay $50 more for Dynatech's I know which one I'd go for...
oh i agree with you slvr...theres actually a guy selling dynatechs on ls1tech that i thought about picking up for my engine build...not sure if there's a point though, haha

Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

Dudes! Lay off the Iowa guy for a minute! I mean where else are we going to get our potato's from?!?! Ok back on topic. If your looking for more power on a budget then I'd either pull the heads of the engine you have now and have them polished an ported or buy a used set for a couple hundred and then go from there. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:13 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

idaho has potatoes moron...lol. i'm from iowa as well so i'll give the iowa boy as much crap as i can. round these parts...we got corn as far as the eye can see...oh, and beans too.

but i agree with the advice you gave and believe i already stated it...you're too slow runner

Old 03-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Ninja Administrator

Originally Posted by LT1RUNNER
Dudes! Lay off the Iowa guy for a minute! I mean where else are we going to get our potato's from?!?! Ok back on topic. If your looking for more power on a budget then I'd either pull the heads of the engine you have now and have them polished an ported or buy a used set for a couple hundred and then go from there. Just my 2 cents.
dude... fudge ur mother lol

I have a shirt that says "University of Iowa: Idaho city, OH"

Old 03-09-2009, 04:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

Haha you did whammer but you also stated to go to lloyds. I was thinking in more of a local port an polish. Lloyds, although prolly the best bet, can be a little pricey. Fudge your mother?! C'mon spec!! haha! I like potato's and corn!! Why the voilence?!? haha!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:36 PM

So, headers are probably going to be the next purchase I make for the camaro...wondering how tough the install should be along with the y-pipe? A friend of mine has a car hoist, I imagine that would be the easiest route from below...correct? Do the headers come with gaskets and what not for install?

Another question i have...As you can recall I recently bought the car...I have a receipt that the previous owner gave me, he put on a Flow Booster 1985-1997 TPI/LT1 Throttle....? Thats the exact words from the receipt, any idea what that may entail or what it is?

Thanks Fellas

Old 03-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Overdrive Member

The headers have to go in from the bottom. You're going to have to get the front of the car pretty high off the ground, unbolt the motor mounts and jack the motor up a couple of inches (really as high as you can get it with the intake manifold/cowl clearance). From here the headers should fit in (although you'll still have to get some twisting weirdness, but you'll get it). I do not recommend using the paper gaskets most headers come with. Get some Mr. Gasket Co. Premium header gaskets for the LT1. They're made primarily out of graphoil, which is a carbon based substance that is extremely heat resistant and seals well (i.e. you're not going to burn through these gaskets).

As far as the receipt you have, it's also commonly known as an "air foil." Your throttle body has 2 ports on it with a divider in the middle, the air foil (or flow booster) fits in the middle of these to help reduce turbulence and increase flow going into your throttle body. All in all it might get you 1 or 2 HP, nothing to be too excited about.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear member

A quick google search of "flow booster throttle" reveals it is an air foil. Basically a little hunk of metal that's supposed to help make the air in the throttle body flow better, though in my opinion whatever good it does is negated by the loss of volume allowing air travel.

For headers, if they're shorties (not what I recommend) you shouldn't have any problems. For midlengths or longtubes (What I would recommend) you'll have a more difficult install ahead of you. If I remember correctly, you'll need to go in from the top for the passenger side, and from the bottom on the driver side. Sometimes you'll need to move other things around, or lift the motor. It all just depends on how lucky you are.

EDIT: Dang it slvr!! You beat me to it. :P

Quick Reply: If Not the LT4 Conversion Kit, what?