LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

If i ever.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear member
Default If i ever.....

Find the guy who designed the engine bay layout on my '94 Z28, I am going to make him eat the opti I just took out.

I am working on replacing the opti, water pump, coil, plugs and wires as part of a general tune up (it still has the original plugs, coil, wires, opti, and waterpump in it). Having to take the water pump and harmonic balancer off just to change the opti is bad enough.

But having to take the alternator off to remove spark plug #2 just absolutely STUPID!!!!!! Man, I thought changing the plugs on my '64 Nova was bad. Taking them out on the passenger side of this thing is totally insane.

Anybody got some tips on getting the new plug wires routed on the passenger side? How about getting the new plugs installed on the passenger side? Now, if I could only find the guy from the BK commercials or the Keebler Elves.......

Old 03-14-2010, 05:18 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

for sure do it while the opti and water pump is out. much easier. if there is such a thing. lol. yah its no fun but if u used good parts u will not have to do it again for 60 to 100k miles. mark the wires at the dizzy end for sure so u dont have to trace them when hooking up.

Last edited by craby; 03-14-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Amen man I'm at the same spot on my 96 but I alredy got my plugs and wires done and I wish you the best of luck man

Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have a 94 Z28 and I feel your pain. I recently replaced my Opti, waterpump, spark plugs, and wires. As for your idea - The Keebler Elves aren't very good at installing spark plug wires because they use too much chocolate, so I don't recommend going that route.

You can always do what I did and kill two birds with one stone by installing headers at the same time (I made this decision during my plug replacement). Changing plugs and wires is a simple job with the exhaust manifolds and Y-pipe removed. However, the headers are another PITA and can be expensive. If headers are something you want and can afford, now might be a good time.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 AM
4th Gear Member

Mr Exacto is spot on. And after the long tubes go in, plug changes are much easier

And header installs aren't bad if you listen to the folks who have done it before