LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 PM
4th Gear Member

Code 16 is all that came up. I don't remember off hand what code 16 is....but I have a very bad feeling it has to do with the opti.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Thumbs up

Bro,

Look around those headers for melted harnesses and double check all harness routing. You have to pull the codes for a clue.

If multiple codes, look for common grounds, 12V or 5V to the affected sensors.

Get a piece of multi-strand industrial wiring than cable it through your firewall (I know its a pain but if you're a tweaker and want to know then you have to do it)

This will allow you to jump the sensors to your newly installed bulkhead connector then use the cabin side to connect to your DVM.

The scan tools won't take the place of good old detective work because sometimes wires and harnesses degrade due to heat or get routed to areas prone to damage after an overhaul.

Double check anything that has been touched immediately before your symptoms occurred and triple check harnesses in previously known collision areas.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Name:  dtc16.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  45.7 KB
Name:  dtc16p2.jpg
Size:  25.7 KB

Name:  P6030001_1.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  57.8 KB
Name:  P6030002_1-1.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  57.7 KB

Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldwrench
Bro,

Look around those headers for melted harnesses and double check all harness routing. You have to pull the codes for a clue.

If multiple codes, look for common grounds, 12V or 5V to the affected sensors.

Get a piece of multi-strand industrial wiring than cable it through your firewall (I know its a pain but if you're a tweaker and want to know then you have to do it)

This will allow you to jump the sensors to your newly installed bulkhead connector then use the cabin side to connect to your DVM.

The scan tools won't take the place of good old detective work because sometimes wires and harnesses degrade due to heat or get routed to areas prone to damage after an overhaul.

Double check anything that has been touched immediately before your symptoms occurred and triple check harnesses in previously known collision areas.

All ready went through all the wires to make sure they were all good. Everything checked out fine except one ground wire that was a bit worn and has been replaced since. The only thing that has been touched since the beginning of this were the battery (to be charged), all grounds for a thorough cleaning, and the rocker arms on the passenger side needed tightening. Other than that, nothing has changed since the original installation of the headers.

And Craby thank you for that. I'll go out and try that and see what happens. Haha. Really hoping it's something simple...but it's never easy.

Edit: Code 16 went away and hasn't come back...but the car still will not start. I think I'm just gonna replace the opti.

Last edited by MKCoconuts; 03-12-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 PM
4th Gear Member

Replaced the opti and ICM and it has run fine so far. Only problem is now Code 36 came up. I checked the main connector for the opti and it is near perfect shape, just a little dirty on the outside. I'm not getting how this code is being thrown if everything checks out okay and the opti is brand new.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the harness from the main harness to the opti is a common fail point, did you pick up a new one of them. did you unhook the battery to reset the computer and clear codes?

Name:  DTC361.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  62.1 KB
Name:  DTC362.jpg
Size:  67.7 KB
Name:  DTC363.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  57.5 KB
Name:  DTC364.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  65.8 KB

Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 AM
4th Gear Member

I did not replace it. I did however look it over, checked all the wires and connectors for it and all checked out fine. The connector is only about a year old since the car didn't have one when I bought it last April. I have disconnected the battery and the code immediately comes back after I turn the car on. I suppose I'll check the local parts stores and see if any have one in stock and I'll pick one up when pay day comes on Friday. Till then, I will try as the above states to see what it reads and go from there. As long as the car moves without problems, I'll be happy.

Thanks Craby for all the help. I'll let you know what the connector reads after I get off work today. Hopefully, it'll be the end of my troubles for a few months.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Might have to do what I did ...I took all my harness plugs and sprayed electric cleaner in them and I did end up finding a smashed prong coming from the icm took a needle and bent it back a bit put some contact grease on it and the car had behaved normal eversince

Another thing I did back then was took all the coil/icm brackets including heat sink and wire wheeled them made sure they were flat again then ran bolts backwards from the back with washers and when tightening everything drew up tight with no fear of stripping plus it acts like a cooling mod since the head of the bolts take the blunt of the heat

Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Haha. Well my prongs in the ICM are straight...at least I hope so! The suckers brand new! But I'm thinking something with the harness for opti is bad and I'm just not able to find it.

I'm just praying that when I test it, I don't get 4 or 6 volts because this opti is brand new and I can't afford any more down time with the car. Not to mention, I don't want to have to tear everything out again.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Well, finally got around to checking the volts on the the cable. Read 4.8xx volts on both the connector from the ECM to the Opti pigtail and from the pigtail to the Opti. So according to that diagram, I may have faulty connector or faulty Opti. Now is the connector portion of that talking about the pigtail going to the Opti or the connection on the Opti?

Quick Reply: Ideas?