LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 AM
4th Gear Member
Default Ideas?

All right guys, I'm running out on things to look at here. My car's been having some problems. Originally, I thought it was the battery or alternator. Check them both out and both are good. Checked the fuel thinking that might be it. That's all good. There is no spark now...and before if the car would shut off as soon as you got past 2k rpm. I tested the ICM at work and failed..so I ordered a new one hoping that's what's wrong. Any other ideas?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i had a icm go and it would make it a couple miles and die, i would get a friend to come and tow home and the dang thing would start. did that like three times before a buddy at the part store told me i could be icm

Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 AM
4th Gear Member

I'm just hoping it's the ICM and not the opti. I don't have quite that much money after doing my brakes and I'd hate to borrow money.

Like I said, though, I took it over and tested it on the machine we have there and failed every test it gives it. So that made me feel a little better. And it seems like what yours did is sorta similar. If I kept it under 1k rpm it'd go for a little bit but up and over 2k it'd just shut off immediately. So that makes me feel even better. Haha.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 PM
4th Gear Member

Well, just replaced the ICM and that must have been what was wrong because the car runs flawless now. I seriously think it has more power because I got it sideways enough jumping on it to scare my dad...which is not easy.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:25 PM
4th Gear Member

Either the ICM just died again, or it's the opti spark. Replaced and drove no problem. Took it to a buddies house so I could see the new exhaust he put on his Jetta. Drove around for probably a half hour, came back and it won't start. Had to tow it home with my uncles truck. Guys I'm at an impass. I'm going to test the new ICM at work and see what happens. If it tests good, what else should I look at?

Old 03-11-2012, 02:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

no spark again? its possible the new part went. odds are against but it does happen. sure your not outa gas,,, wishfull thinkin

Old 03-11-2012, 03:09 PM
4th Gear Member

Took it over to work and tested it. It failed....

I have not tested to see if there was a spark or not. Working on that now. But it won't fire. Turns over almost like the battery is dead. Checked that too...it's low...but even with a jump start attempt, no luck.
Haha. I got gas. I'm still like 3/4 of tank.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:38 PM
4th Gear Member

Okay. So I forgot my store doesn't get PDQ on Mondays...so I'll be waiting on the ICM till Tuesday. For S&G, I hooked up the old ICM and everything else. Tried starting the car and it fired right up. Any ways...I figured, since I have a video camera, I'll take a video of it so you guys can see and hear what I'm seeing and hearing. Does it seem like it's the ICM or is it the opti-spark or is it not able to be determined.

LT1 having problems - YouTube

Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you flashed for codes yet?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 PM
4th Gear Member

I almost forgot to do that. I'll run next door and borrow my uncles OBD1 scanner and let you know what comes up.

Quick Reply: Ideas?