LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

I think I might have solved my problem about running warm!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Default I think I might have solved my problem about running warm!!

Ok I am back.... But this time... I may have found my problem, atleast I'm hoping so! Well my pops and I talked to a few people and got their advice, remember my problem was my 94 z28 was running crappy when it got warm and after you drove it for a while and got the temp up and you went to shut it off for like 30 minutes and restart it, it would sputter and act as if it was going to stall out but never fully did. I went thru the whole thing about Changing my distributor, water pump, cap, rotar, plugs, wires, i checked all sensors and unplugged them to see if that made a differenece but it never did. I thought it was hopeless....

So we got a few peoples advice over the past week and they suggested checking some kind of line up under the windshield (i'm not sure what it was exactly called Im forgetting) but we were checking to see if that line had fuel in it or if it didnt. well whatever that part was we checked turned out to be fine so I thought once again this could be hopeless until.....

We checked my fuel pressure the other day and I'm only pushing 19 for fuel pressure, which the one guy was really surprised that it would even run on that low. Sometimes its almost as if my car is starving for gas, like I can floor it and it takes forever to really get going and then it will like let loose and finally go.

Isn't your fuel pressure supposed to be around 30 or 35? I'm not really sure.

So sometimes this week I am going to put in a new fuel pump. I heard this aren't very pleasant to do either. Is this so?

Thanks for any help.

Wish me luck!

Old 07-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: I think I might have solved my problem about running warm!!

Try the fuel pressure regulator first, much easier than replacing the pump.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:09 PM

Ok, Well I did test the fuel pump regulator that was not my problem either. so I decided to go with it and put in a new fuel pump to see if that would help since I was running low fuel pressure.

GUESS WHAT......SO FAR SO GOOD!!!! I changed it yesterday drove it 3 or 4 times and shut it off to wear it usually has the problems and its ok. alteast for now. so I am on the right track.

My camaro runs as if it was brand new, like a new totally different car, much more pick up to that it had before with the low fuel pressure.

Anyways, I'm really glad this is working out for me.

Thanks for everyones help. hopefully I wont be on here with anymore problems for a while now.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:57 PM

I was wondering if the fuel pump change was still working for you. I also have a 94 z28 and the problem you have explained throughout your posts is mine to the t. I haven't checked my fuel pressure, not sure how. I recently drove from washington to texas and back. Before I left I had the problem but I did an extensive tune up, plugs, wires, oil, tranny, fuel filter, air filter, etc. The tune up cleared up most of the problem for the trip, but it is back and stronger than ever now. Your solution with the fuel pump seems to make sense in my situation, I just need to know exactly how to check the pressure and an estimated cost to check it and replace the pump if necessary, all work would be done in my garage. Also should I run the car until it starts hesitating and then check the pressure?

Old 08-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Tech Droid

FUEL PUMP & PRESSURE REGULATOR TEST:

1) Connect a Fuel Injection pressure gauge (available from most part stores) to the test port on the FI rail, similiar to a tire valve. Be carful as fuel under pressure may spray out

2) With the key ON & engine OFF (cycle the key ON-OFF several times as pump only runs for 2 seconds) the pressure should be 41-47 PSI. (If NOT: weak pump, dead or no power to pump)

3) Turn key OFF, pressure should NOT drop more than 1-2 PSI and then hold steady. (If NOT: fuel line leak, injector leak, regulator leak, fuel pump check ball leaking)

4) With engine idling, pressure should drop 3-10 PSI. ( If NOT: bad pressure regulator, vacuum leak to pressure regulator.

5) WOT (car accelerating at full throttle, pressure should hold @ 41-47 PSI. Good to have two people, one to drive and one to watch gauge (If NOT: dirty fuel filter, weak pump, bad pressure regulator)

Old 08-08-2006, 05:57 PM

Sorry it took me so long to reply but yes, that must have been my problem. My car runs as if it is brand new. with ALLOOTTT more pickup than before. I love it. I hope you solve all of your problems too. I'm so glad that its fixed.

Its wonderful!!!