LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

I need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Default I need Help!

I got a 97 z28 camaro, I just put in a new walbro fuel pump, new fuel filter, new plugs wires, ignition module. Heres the problem, I can run out and jump in it turn the key and seems to take about 7 seconds of cranking it over till it fires, runs great! then go drive it around runs good! the minute I lay into it it starts stalling and sputtering and even dies all together and wont fire back up, So I get it towed home alot. I let it sit a couple hours or over night and it starts right up and runs great till I try to land on it, Ive noticed that in really does this in hot weather. Now the other day it died completly and will not start at all, traced it back to no spark at the plugs nor any at the coil, So i changed the ignition module, and it fired right up! But still when i go drive it runs fine till i open it up, then sputers and stalls and dies. The only thing I have not changed is the distritor/ cap. Is it the culprite, has any one else expericed this? please help! check engine lite is on, and has been since I got it ran great up untill this summer.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:23 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

when u changed the ignition modual did u replace the silly lube that goes between it and the braket. if not your coil and ignition modual are over heating. take the mounting bracket off and put a couple of washers in between the mounting bracket and the engine head/block. this holds the coil and modual away from the block keeping it cool. see if that works. have u had it scanned for trouble codes?

Old 08-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Default reply

I have not pulled the code(s), I did put heat sink lube on but i tore the water pump and other stuff off today and am going to order the msd ignition system, prolly throw a cam in while I'm at it. After just joining and reading this for about 30 mintes last night I figured the opti is out, so I just assume replace the system, I had a hypertech chip and just opened it up aswell fried capasitor! so i took it off, think it might have f'ed up the ecm along the way who knows! Got to wait till next payday to fix it though. Keep ya posted!
thanks for the reply, peace!

Old 08-28-2009, 12:32 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the chip controls the fans, timing, idle. most likely the bigger part of the problem. did u run it without the chip?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I know you said your fuel pump is new but you should install a pressure gauge to make sure its not a fuel issue. New doesn't always mean good! You may have more than 1 problem at the same time but it sounds like you are making progress so good luck.