LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

how to wire a sub into monsoon system

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Camaro Car Stereo Adapter Wiring Harness, 1990-2002 - Rick's Camaro Parts

You'll also need an install kit and antenna adapter unless your headunit comes with one.

Camaro Car Stereo Installation Kit, 1982-2002 - Rick's Camaro Parts

Camaro Antenna Adapter, Long, 1982-2002 - Rick's Camaro Parts

You can get these stuff just about anywere, except for thw wiring adapter might be an order only part. Everything else should be at wal mart or any stereo place.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

you can get everything at walmart including the wiring adapter (which comes with the antenna adapter) DONT buy the power cable from walmart they corrode very easy go to a sterio shop and buy 12 ft of 4 gauge power cable and 2 ft of 4 gauge ground cable (power cable and ground cable are the same thing just different colors) and you dont want your ground any longer than 18 inches (helps to reduce white noise) also get monster rcas there the best sound quality

Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ok, so what should the prices of everything run me? like all together? im paying 40 for http://support.jvc.com/consumer/prod...3&archive=true and 75 for a kicker comp with box and amp.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User
Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

A system shouldn't be to hard in this car you can buy an adapter for your stock stereo harness if you do go with an aftermarket deck, I've done the stereo in about 45mins to an hour... out of curiosity what are you going to use for a box

Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I've done hundreds of amp installed with a line output converter and never had a big quality issue. The only one I can ever speak of is when I did a BMW with a Harmon Kardon system, sub barely pounded and it ended up being a bad signal from the rear speaker. I typically don't tap into more than one speaker, that's really not necessary. You can just take the two positives, twist them together, then the negative wires the same way and tap into ONE speaker. Go behind the deck or at the actual speaker, what ever is easier for you.

Just make sure you are in fact getting a good signal and you should be fine.

I use these and have had no issues.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fierce+A...Watt&cp=1&lp=1

Last edited by Spatfieya; 02-16-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by bob97z28
ok, so what should the prices of everything run me? like all together? im paying 40 for USB/CD Receiver with Front AUX - KD-R600 - Specification and 75 for a kicker comp with box and amp.
The install kit that BC linked is a nicer looking install. And are you getting your stuff used? Cuz I'm thinking prices have dropped a ton for basic head units if that's new.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya if that deck is new at 40$ its junk 150$ is my dead minimum for a deck

Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by BM-Z28KING12
A system shouldn't be to hard in this car you can buy an adapter for your stock stereo harness if you do go with an aftermarket deck, I've done the stereo in about 45mins to an hour... out of curiosity what are you going to use for a box
Thanks for stopping by to repost what has already been said.

Originally Posted by Spatfieya
I've done hundreds of amp installed with a line output converter and never had a big quality issue. The only one I can ever speak of is when I did a BMW with a Harmon Kardon system, sub barely pounded and it ended up being a bad signal from the rear speaker. I typically don't tap into more than one speaker, that's really not necessary. You can just take the two positives, twist them together, then the negative wires the same way and tap into ONE speaker. Go behind the deck or at the actual speaker, what ever is easier for you.

Just make sure you are in fact getting a good signal and you should be fine.

I use these and have had no issues.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fierce+A...Watt&cp=1&lp=1
I can see that being done if you feeding a monoamp, but RCA converter/line out converter are made to work with two different signals, one Right, one Left. Sending the same signal through each side won't hurt it, but it's just lazy in my book. If you're going to do it, do it right, exceptions will occur to this rule by necessity, not laziness.

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
ya if that deck is new at 40$ its junk 150$ is my dead minimum for a deck
I've always gone for funcionality and appearance first, and then looked at the price. My current cost me close to $800 bucks, but it had everything I could want and more, looked good when installed and was a brand I wanted and trusted. I don't think people should buy what they can afford at the moment, becuase you're just going to upgrade later and then you're out the cost of both. Wait until you can afford what you want and then you're done.

Quick Reply: how to wire a sub into monsoon system