Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   LT1/LT4 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/)
-   -   How align opti and camshaft knob? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/how-align-opti-camshaft-knob-62978/)

aaberg 06-30-2011 12:53 AM

How align opti and camshaft knob?

I have spent several hours at my Camaro 1997 LT1 trying to get the new opti in place and line to the camshaft "knob" without success. Any clever tip how to get the opti lined?

craby 06-30-2011 06:47 AM

took me about 10 times to get it right. moved it a little each time till it finally when in.

Camaro 69 06-30-2011 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by craby (Post 548910)
took me about 10 times to get it right. moved it a little each time till it finally when in.

That technique works for more than just an optispark! lol
You gotta line up that little tab to the hub. Here's a handy write-up: LT-1 Ignition System - Understanding, Modifying - GM High-Tech Performance

Red94z28 07-02-2011 07:22 PM

Look at the old one you took out...and seee how the little rotating disk sits. There is only one way its gunna go in. Actually two and your timing will be 180 degrees off. Ive only done one vented opti but ive done about 30 regular non-vented optis.

craby 07-03-2011 12:06 AM

nope opti only goes in correctly one way. if you get it in wrong and tightin it you can damage the opti. they are not like the drop in distributor.

aaberg 07-03-2011 08:39 AM

Hi guys. Just want you to know that I have started my car and the opti seems to run fine - thought just had the car running on idle for about 15 min or so checking new opti and water pump installed. Without the electrical two fans installed the temp (after bleeding) slowly moved up to about 230´F before I turned off not to overheating engine. Is this normal? The normal temp is set to 210´F at water temp gauge. The thermostat I use is a new 180´F that seems to open and circulate the liquid correctly. Any idea, install the fans and see if temp goes down or check anything else before?

Grandpaswagon 07-03-2011 09:38 AM

That sounds about right. Without the fans installed, the engine will overheat if left running without actually moving.

Install the fans and check to make sure that they are turning on when they are supposed to.

craby 07-03-2011 09:41 AM

blead again, and again, and again. best to park on a hill with the front of the car on the up side. fill radiator with all the bleaders open. close the top to the radiator and start the motor. blead again. then take it for a ride around the block. park on the hill again and let it cool. do it again after its cooled. sometimes it takes a few times. umm so long as you got the right thermostat and installed correctly

aaberg 07-04-2011 08:48 AM

Fans installed and checked. They start at 210'F (normal temp regarding to temp gauge) and cool down engine nicely to below 210'F. Have bleeded several times and seems no loss of water anymore. Still all tests done at idle. Next step will be on the road. Will do the hill test as well.

je$$up97 07-04-2011 12:22 PM

do yourself a favor and get a lower temp thermostat, tune/chip that lowers fan turn-on temp or even a manual switch. My car rarely runs hotter that 175. that 30-40 degrees frees up some ponies.