LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Hey Guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 02:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Hey Guys

First things first, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
I did an introduction in the new members section but I'll probrably be around the LT1 section most so I'll sort of repeat myself here. I've had a couple of Camaros in the past and just picked up a sweet 96 Z28 a week ago. Its a 6sd/3.42posi car with the graphite leather...and Royal Purple in color. This is the first time I've ever had a purple car but I like it on this Z. It's got 73000 on it now and is bone stock save for the K&N set-up. So far its getting n the 23.5 to 24 MPG range. This car is absolutely pristine and it makes me hesitate to mess with it. However I'm thinking of putting a Borla exhaust on it as well as going with an LT4 cam/lifters. I'd like it to have bit of a growl and rumble when I get on it but I sure like the quiet idle and overall sleeper affect it's got now. I've tried to find a youtube or some other video of the Borla but haven't found anything yet. Anybody got any suggestions for links to a Borla exhaust?

Old 11-26-2009, 05:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Keep searching youtube theres lots of videos for soundclips. Also check out SLP and Magnaflow.
The LT4 upgrade really isnt work the money, theres much better aftermarket options. Check out Lloyd Elliot for custom ground cams, he can grind you a sleeper cam that will greatly increase your numbers. He can also port your heads to put you in the 400+ rwhp range.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I finally found some sound clips of Borlas/lt1 and I know a soundclip is a far cry from reality but I didn't like it. Too much rumble at idle and way more aggressive when when revved. I want a pretty quiet idle and normal driving sound. I want the rumble when I get on it. Could be I'm dreaming and there is no such thing. I've heard some cars that sound good at idle but have a full throated roar when you get on it.

My idea for this car is for it to perform well without feeling overly aggressive during normal drving. I've got '39 Chevy coupe that satisfies my need for scaring the B jezuz out of the general public. I just want this Z to run and perform well with just a bit a growl to it. Guess I'm geting old but I like driving without getting a headache from a too loud exhaust. The other thing is that if a car has 400 or 500 HP I know I'll use it. So for a regular driver something in the 300 to 350 range would be more than enough. I'm getting mellow in my golden years.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:11 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

borla comes with a adjustable block off plate so u can make it quiter by blocking it off. what are u willing to pay. im gona try and save for a coasa i like the sound it has. i dont have a sound track for it though, kind of spendy to.
http://speed-eng.com/store/exhaust-c...24_84_865.html

Old 11-26-2009, 11:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm not as concerned about how much it costs as I am how "right" it is. My experience over the years has taught me that spending the money to do it right is always cheaper in the long run. I plan to listen to some Corsas (sp) too. A buddy said I can look at around a grand to do the full exhaust system. I got into the car cheap enough to throw some bucks at it for the things I want. I had a $7500-8000 budget and stumbled onto this for $4500. One more thing I was thankful for today.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:27 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

you should check out magnaflow too...i've always loved the sound of magnaflow on the LT1

and as said earlier, the LT4 hotcam kit is not worth it IMO...you can do much better by getting all the supporting pieces and either having a cam ground for what you want, or picking a better off the shelf cam