LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

help me.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Default help me.....

i have a 93 z28 stock but keeps over heating.. no thermasat , new water pump dont know whats up can some body help me?

Old 07-03-2010, 10:31 PM
4th Gear Member

You need a thermostat in it to keep the water in the radiator long enough for it to cool. Did you flush the radiator and bleed the system? Is the radiator stopped up by any chance? Are you running straight water? How long does it take it to overheat and is it going in the red zone or just running high on the guage? Are the fans working when the temp goes up?

Old 07-04-2010, 12:56 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wow duck you sound like me. lol yep you need to bleed these right and more than once. park the car on a hill with the front of the car on the up side, helps the air to rise out of the heads, then when its cool fill the radiator and bleed, fill again if needed and put the cap on and bleed again, this is when its best to do the bleed screw that on the heater hose, its the highest and wont bleed when the system is not closed with the motor off. take the car for a ride around the block and do it again. another question,,, lol any oil in the water?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:18 AM

no water in the oil and ive tried bleeding it a millon times dont know whats going on ..............

Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 AM

My car dont over heat quick it takes about an hour to get the red line. I ve bleed it change water pumps and cleaned the rediator.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:17 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your going to want to put a thermostat back in her. like duck says make sure the fans are coming on, both fans, also is your air damn in place? its the plastic scoop under the front bumper.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 AM
4th Gear Member

When it starts getting up there close to the red, turn the heater control to hot with the heater fan on and see if the temp guage needle goes down. If it does, you may have a block in the radiator not allowing enough flow through it. Did you get the rad professionally cleaned or just run a flush through it?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

the reverse cooling system in our cars present a problem when bleeding but are the most efficient way to cool the heads. I have learned to drill a small hole in the thermostat to make the system self bleed. Also remove the hoses and fill them so that the block is primed. Then drive the car and slam on the breaks and take off several times after the thermostat has opened to work out the remaining air pockets. Use the bleeders and let alot of coolant run out of them, dont worry about getting low it wont. Another word of advice...buy an electric h2o pump so you can bleed the system without having to run the car.