LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Default help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I just got a 97 Camaro with a Lt1 Motor. 6 speed. It has some work done like Headers, glass Packs ( I will replace soon ) 30 lbs injectors, Holly fuel regulator , air intake and it should have a pcm upgraded I was told.
I drove the car home about 30 miles from where I bought it. Started it up the next day it ran fine until it got warm and no power bucking and when you hit the gas it doesn't go anywhere. I replaced the EGR because that is what I was told and the car ran ok but then started doing the same thing. I also replaced the switch for the EGR. I took the vacumm line off the Egr Value and left it open on the intake and the car runs great? I plug the vacumm with a plug and the car runs like crap again. Do I need some one to reprogram the pcm. Or what can it be. Thanks Tim

Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

you might need it have it reprogramed till then leave the vaccum line open if you need to drive it if not then have it retuned before that have the codes read that will hopefully shed some light on your problem

Old 03-30-2009, 11:08 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you bought this from a dealer, then take it back and tell them to fix it. There is a lemon law for a reason.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Overdrive Member

Is the Service Engine Soon light lit?

Old 03-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by greenarrow
If you bought this from a dealer, then take it back and tell them to fix it. There is a lemon law for a reason.
Lemon law applies to new cars, not used. And it pertains to the car getting serviced again and again for the same problem without it ever being fixed.
Used cars without a warranty is called "buyer beware", which means you have to take your own precautions when buying a car.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I thought that used cars of a lot you could return them if you had the same problem three times within 6 months.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Overdrive Member

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/state_laws/index.htm

It doesn't just apply to new cars.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

stanGT to the rescue

Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 AM

Hey I talked to Bryan at PCMforless and he was very helpful. He said when people put headers on you have to extend the 02 sensor wire and I checked them and they where not extended the right way so I am waiting on new ones and I am thinking about getting the extension Harness form Casper Electronics. I will keep you up to date if it works I think it will it makes sense.
Thanks for your input.

I bought it from someone not a dealership .

Old 03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Not trying to hijack, just trying to avoid someone from being mis-led. Where did the lemon law link state anything about a used car? All the references I read were to a "new" car, and under warranty.
Plus this disclaimer: Although most of the Lemon Laws vary from state to state, each individual law usually require a warrantor to cure a specific defect within four to five attempts or the automobile as a whole within thirty days. If the warrantor fails to meet this obligation, most of the lemon laws provide for a full refund or new replacement vehicle.
For there to be a "warrantor", there needs to be a "warranty" on the car.
Otherwise go back to the "buyer beware" reference. If buying a car without a warranty, the buyer is responsible for having the car checked out. If a problem arises later, the buyer would have to be able to prove that the seller knew there was a problem with the car....good luck with that. "The car was fine when we sold it to him" is all you'll get out of it.