LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Greetings all from VA

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Default Greetings all from VA

Hello everyone, new to the site and just wanted to throw out an introduction as well as my first questions:

My name is Mike and I've been in the Chesapeake, VA Fire Department for almost three years, married for nearly 5 years and I am in school right now to earn my paramedic certification. I just picked up a 93 Z28 last week, my first F-body and I am very excited.

The car is a 93 Z28 6M(M29) with just over 100k on it. The previous owner installed a flowmaster exhaust, removed the cats, KN intake, BBK throttle body, 160 thermostat and it supposedly has a Hypertech tune on it altough he didn't have the tuner anymore. The car was just repainted black and it has some polished C5 corvette wheels on it. The owner didn't give me the best of feelings but I really wanted the car and was willing to accept some flaws to get it.

The previous owner had some kind of car audio shop that has since closed, should have been a red flag huh? He used the car as rolling advertising and had some kind of "mega sound system" in it. Here's the kicker, he removed it all before he sold it which was fine I didn't want any of that crap, but when he did he either cracked or broke every interior panel in the car! He also left all the wiring in it should I want to put in my own "mega system." So I spent my first two days of ownership removing all his old wiring, I have a 50 gallon trash bag full of wires that went to nothing!!! I also found wires that were cut that needed to be reconnected to get things like the power door locks to work.

So now after all that I have a few questions. The car idles fairly smooth but it seems low at about 750rpm. I say it seems low because thats what it idles at upon first start up in the cold mornings(40s outside). Seems like it should idle up to nearly 1000rpm or so? Also when comming to a stop it will hold about 1000rpm for about 10 sec before dropping back to 750rpm.

I also found it has an ABS INOP light on, but no SES light. I have tried using a paperclip through the OBDI port but I can't get it to enter diagnostic mode. I'm going to pull the dash next week and see if the wires from the OBD port go through and he didn't cut them installing or removing his "mega system."

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone turning their car into a drag car and wanted to get rid of some grey interior pieces let me know since I need just about everything. Thanks again and sorry for the length of the post.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:28 PM

One last thing, I may have answered my own question. The previous owner installed Powerstop or Powertrax slotted rotors onthe back, from the day he installed them the ABS light has been on, must be no tone ring on those rotors. I guess I'm stuck with replacing the rotors with an OEM set of some sort in order to get functional ABS again.

Last edited by iggy913; 12-10-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Grammatical Errors
Old 12-10-2009, 10:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i believe the abs sensor on the 93 is in center of the rear end for the back wheels. not the rotors. they are in the wheel bearing unit on the front. i would think if any are messed up it would be a front one. stop by an auto zone and see if they can scann for trouble codes for u. my 93 has a 92 style obd plugin so i have to short different places on the plugin than what are shown for my yr.

Last edited by craby; 12-11-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey Iggy, Your excitement with your Z comes through real clear. Just got a 96 myself and I'm real new here too so I'll wish you lots of luck and fun with your Camaro. Hope you can sort out all the crap the prevous owner did without too much trouble. I've always been real lucky finding parts on ebay so maybe your interior is just waiting for you to bid on it.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 PM

The original owner told me that the ABS light came on after installing the rotors. So when they wear out I'll be replacing them with an OEM type anyway just to rule that out.

The car also has 3.73 gears in it, which if he didn't use an OEM type gear set than maybe that's where the light is comming from. If the abs sensor in the rear reads off a tone wheel on the ring gear and he didn't reuse the tone wheel when installing the new gears that could be my issue as well.

I plan on getting a TTS Datalogger soon and hopefully that will reveal something.