LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

got a couple rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User
Default got a couple rebuild questions

ive decided that since its going to be a couple of weeks until i can get a trans that im going to rebuild my engine

im planning on doing new rings, crank bearings and rod bearings i also want to put in a cam, new rockers, and pushrods...

first thing i wanted to know is is there a cam i can put in that doesnt require me to mess with the computer??? (i know nothing about cams except how they work) also besides magnaflux and honing the cylinders is there anything i should do to the block???

now i got a pricelist for the rings and bearings but there from advance (i have a commercial discount there)
rings - $39
crank bearings - $25
rod bearings - $30
i havent looked into a cam or rockers yet (should i replace the lifters too or will the stock ones do)

... i know i wanted to ask something else but for the life of me i cant remember right now

thanx
BC

Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 PM
2nd Gear member

i was asking around about this stuff on another forum. But it was for an old sbc motor. As far as machine work I've heard its a good idea for them to clean it, they use a hot tank which will do a great job, but still it might be a good idea to make sure its good before reassembling the motor. there are a lot of factors that will determine what else needs to be done as far as machine work. So talk to the machine shop and have them check it out and tell you what they think should be done. Ive heard that it is best to have them install the cam bearings too. I'm not sure about the cam though. The pushrods should be inspected. Lay them on a flat table or something and roll them and if the roll straight that means they are not bent and they should be ok with a mild cam. I would do 1.6 ratio Roller rockers to get a little bit more lift. BTW you should look for a bearing and gasket kit and see what's around it might be cheap to buy everything as a set.

Last edited by greenmachine96; 06-01-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

my boss has a buddy that works in a machine shop he said hell go through the block for $100 and im just going to replace the pushrods there only like $1.50 each as for the rockers i was planning in getting 1.6RRs prob from comp cams i didnt really think about a kit for the bearings but i did find a complete engine gasket kit for $65 although i did just change the head gaskets about an hour worth of running ago

Old 06-01-2011, 10:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

with 1.6 rockers you will want to get some good valve springs and retainers on the heads and measure for your pushrods length. dont skimp on the oil pump, i used the gm performance pump. NAL-12555884

Old 06-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

gotchya thanx craby any words of wisdom on the cam???

Old 06-02-2011, 02:44 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you will not realize the full potential of the investment if you dont have it tuned. if your gona try without a tune i would not go as big as mine, it would barely run without the tune.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ill eventually get it tuned but i need something that will work good till then. im looking for a mild cam nothing crazy but i want a good sound and a noticeable bit of power. the problem is that i understand what the numbers are i just dont know what im looking for

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 06-02-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:39 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you looked over lloyds LT1 Cam Info «

Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

wow im not to sure i wanna spend that much on a cam... is there anything stock i could use like from a vette

Old 06-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Boy, you sure like opening cans o' worms don't you?
Just be aware that your engine could have enough cylinder wear (bowed in the middle, running on a bias, etc.) to where the block might need to be bored oversize to true it back up. That means getting new pistons, so don't go buying new rings until you get the block checked over at the machine shop for any "surprises".

Quick Reply: got a couple rebuild questions