LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Good Deal

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Default Good Deal

I love my 95 Z but I recently started a new job and money is flowing a little better and I can afford to upgrade to something a little newer. Plus my baby has 160,000 km on it and it's starting to show some wear and tear from the previous owner and age. I found a 2002 SS for $34000 with only 2000 kilometers on it. So basically it hasn't even been broken in yet. I'm hoping someone bought it for a collector and started to have problems with storing and payments. The dealership that it's at is saying it's a 35th Anniversary edition SS and the picture is from the side so i can't tell if it has the stripe kit and hood scoop accent, I also can't make out the badging by the door if that is any indicator. I think it has all the SLP options as well. Is this a good deal, even if it's not an actual 35th anniversary special addition, cause that's just cosmetic differences right? Remember I'm a canuck and we deal in canadian funds of course and in kilomoters. With the exchange rate what it is now the price wouldn't change much from either side of the border. Also with the car being four years old and having such low km, what maintenance should have been done on it while it's sitting? Oh, and with GM coming out with the camaro again, should I be paying almost new car price for something four years old? I know a brand new SS(non anniversary edition) in 2002 was around $27000 american, but the exchange for us canadians was much heftier then. Any insight into the situation would be highly appreciated, I would love some information I could take straight to the dealership to screw them out of some coin. Thanks
Mike

Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Good Deal

All 02 cars are anniversry, some just have the badging. If you like the car and are willing to pay that much go for it. Personally I would look for one with 25,000 miles on it and just save some money.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

well if that 34000 that you siad is in canadian money which i think it is then that is about 26000 american dollars and i bought my 2002 35th aniversary SS for 24000 about a month ago. it had 8400 miles on it and the previous owner was a collector so that is the right price. you might be able to talk them down a little bit. as for maintnence all that really need ed to be done is to maybe change the oil but it might not have even needed that. as for whether you should get this one or wait for the new ones thats up to you , they keep pushing back the release date on the new ones and the 35th is a collectors item. it might be worth something in the furture, plus i really like the way they look.well good luck and keep us posted

Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 PM
January 2007 ROTM

ORIGINAL: mike95z

I love my 95 Z but I recently started a new job and money is flowing a little better and I can afford to upgrade to something a little newer. Plus my baby has 160,000 km on it and it's starting to show some wear and tear from the previous owner and age. I found a 2002 SS for $34000 with only 2000 kilometers on it. So basically it hasn't even been broken in yet. I'm hoping someone bought it for a collector and started to have problems with storing and payments. The dealership that it's at is saying it's a 35th Anniversary edition SS and the picture is from the side so i can't tell if it has the stripe kit and hood scoop accent, I also can't make out the badging by the door if that is any indicator. I think it has all the SLP options as well. Is this a good deal, even if it's not an actual 35th anniversary special addition, cause that's just cosmetic differences right? Remember I'm a canuck and we deal in canadian funds of course and in kilomoters. With the exchange rate what it is now the price wouldn't change much from either side of the border. Also with the car being four years old and having such low km, what maintenance should have been done on it while it's sitting? Oh, and with GM coming out with the camaro again, should I be paying almost new car price for something four years old? I know a brand new SS(non anniversary edition) in 2002 was around $27000 american, but the exchange for us canadians was much heftier then. Any insight into the situation would be highly appreciated, I would love some information I could take straight to the dealership to screw them out of some coin. Thanks
Mike

It sounds like to me that you are getting a good deal and with that low milage on it ........... that is very hard to find. If I were you though prior to purchasing the vehicle ask the dealer for a car fax to ensure your purchase. If the dealership is one in good standing then they will have no problems giving you a carfax ..... plus with that less miles it should come back clean if everything they have told you about it , is true. Second I would ask if they know the previous owner and if so could they give you the name so that you could give them a call to ask them some questions. Third ...... get the vin # and do a research on it ........ it will tell you also about the vehicle.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:33 PM

I meant that I wasn't sure if it had the badges or not, which to me doesn't make any difference at all, like you said JD they are all anniversary. Although on closer inspection of the picture it looks like the badge is a 35th badge. I'm hoping to get the car down to $30,000 since they won't have to **** around with financing, trading, and all that hassle. I'll also found a black 02 SS with 13000 MILES on it, must be a car brought up from the states. Were the rims different as well with the 35th Anniversary? On the Black SS the rims are twin five spoke but they look pure white. But if there is very little difference in the price I'm gonna go with the original one i was looking at because I like the striping and hood scoop accent. What were the SLP options that came with the SS? Ram air induction and exhaust? Or was the exhaust another upgrade that had to be special ordered? Also how far away from that 345 HP, with high flow exhaust, is the SS? I've heard that number is innacurate. Thanks for the opinions.
Mike

Old 10-09-2006, 11:40 PM

The dealership has a very good reputation. But, I'm not taking any chances. I'm having a friend run the VIN and I'm finding all the information I can to make sure that this is the real deal. The dealership says they have some GM documentation though that the owner kept. I figure just the documents along with the VIN are enough to prove this is legit. (The only reason I don't know more about either of the cars is that it's thanksgiving weekend here in Canada and nothing is open, haha should know much more tomorrow)
Mike

Old 10-10-2006, 02:56 PM
January 2007 ROTM

Good deal bro .... keep us updated !!!!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 12:08 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mike95z

The dealership has a very good reputation. But, I'm not taking any chances. I'm having a friend run the VIN and I'm finding all the information I can to make sure that this is the real deal. The dealership says they have some GM documentation though that the owner kept. I figure just the documents along with the VIN are enough to prove this is legit. (The only reason I don't know more about either of the cars is that it's thanksgiving weekend here in Canada and nothing is open, haha should know much more tomorrow)
Mike
It is easy to check out if the car is legit. Get the VIN and call SLP, they will tell you all you want to know about it.