LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Exhaust Noise when driving ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Default Exhaust Noise when driving ?

Hello All !

Just purchased my first Camaro Z28 and this is my firs post here. The seller had installed an aftermarket, I think flow master exhaust with 3" pipes. When I hit decent bumps, it sounds like the exhaust is either hitting the car or its jumping up of off the mounts / hangers.

Any ideas on what to check out first and where to start fixing this problem. I think he mentioned replacing the headers as well RK brand ????

Joe

Old 11-28-2006, 12:28 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Exhaust Noise when driving ?

Jack it up and shake your exhaust.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

mine did that for a while after i put my catbacks on , my muffler and tailpipes actually fell off once. i had to jack it up, loosen all the bolts, move it around, and tighten it up all over again, literally from the cat back. ive learned it just takes some time for it to settle in sometimes. where is the noise coming from? sometimes the pipe that goes over the rear axle needs adjusted to align the rest of it.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 PM

I will get under this weekend and look for any obvious. Most of the noise comes from right under the driver & Pass seats and some comes from the rear.

Should I be using any rubber bushings or mounts to reduce the noise ?

Joe

Old 11-28-2006, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

i didnt have to use anything extra, just what came with the exhaust.. make sure it sits in the hanger good and all your clamps are tight..when tightening them you almost want to tighten it to the point that the aluminum digs in to itself. it sounds like that pipe over the axle needs fooled with to straighten the 3" pipe that goes from your cat right under the passenger floor to the muffler. that was the last thing i had to do and it hasnt given me a problem since. if one little part is off, the whole thing is out of alignment, so check everything you can

Old 11-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Overdrive Member

There shouldn't be any exhaust stuff under the driver side unless you are running LT Headers. If it sounds like it's under the passanger side seat, check the cat and the heat shields that sit above it and make sure nothing is loose. You also might want to check the bracket that holds the cat in place and the flange where the exhaust bolts into the cat.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the info. will try to work on the problem this weekend. Will post follow up on what I find.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:38 AM

I Had the same Problem with my 94 Z28 the pipes were hitting the bottom of the car. I took it to the muffler shop and they fixed it by heating the pipe and adjusting its position. Havent had a problem since.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:50 PM

Brought my car to a local muffler shop and the guy fixed the problem. He said the hangers need to be adjusted. Now if I could figure out if I am getting an exhaust leak from the headers when I step on it or could it be the K&N intake making this air leak type of noise along with the sound of lifters ticking ?

Joe

Old 12-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Do you have headers or are you running the stock manifolds? If you have headers, they produce a reasonable amount of under hood noise that sounds like a ticking, and it should only be there when you step on the gas a bit. If you are just ideling and you can hear the ticking, then I'd say you have an exhaust leak. The intake won't be making any sort of a ticking noise.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Noise when driving ?