LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

does this sound like a bad opti spark?yes i searched

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default does this sound like a bad opti spark?yes i searched

so my car has been running kinda ruff since ive had it, plenty of power but some times my idle would jump up for a second at stop light making the car try to pull forward. its never died on me. has always cranked kinda week then i upgraded the grounds and it cranked better but start doing it again 2 days ago. today i was checking for vac leaks or loose wires and cleaned off the intake temp sensor and when to leave and it fired right up but i didnt get far before it died and when it did start it was like running on 2 cylinders and reving didnt help. then i couldnt get it to start period. it would act like it was going to. i low on gas but not on e and fyi my gauge drops funny.so i could be out of gas but i pressed in the schrader valve and gas sprayed out so i doubt it. my friend towed the car about an hour ago. im going to do the shbox test here in a few. but i just wanted some insight since im new to this kinda ignition. can i run a hei with the stock intake? or is it in the way? i mean i know u can but dont know if you can with out a new intake. sorry guys i know you hear this daily. fyi i am a tech so go easy on me didnt notice a cel will it be present with key on engine off?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Do you have any codes? Have you removed a spark plug check to see if it is getting a spark?
I don't trust the fuel gas if it is below the 1/4 mark.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the fuel pressure, maybe add a gallon to be sure its not just running out. it could be coil, ignition module, opti, fuel pump, fuel filter, fouled plugs and thats the short list. have you tried unhooking the hypertech. like duck is sayin, have you had it scanned for codes?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
check the fuel pressure, maybe add a gallon to be sure its not just running out. it could be coil, ignition module, opti, fuel pump, fuel filter, fouled plugs and thats the short list. have you tried unhooking the hypertech. like duck is sayin, have you had it scanned for codes?
first thing i did was remove hypertech. ground wires near the ign module look crappy 2 are exposed i tried messing with them. ive tried scanning the car in the past but the typical innova can 1/2 scanner cant connect, and on a 94 you cant flash codes with cel so i wont be able to pull codes. ill throw 2 gallons of gas in it and try to start it. i dont think my fuel pressure tester fits gm so ill see if i can borrow one. can insert a spark tester between the opti and coil? so if it start when i go out to it what does that lead to as far as possibilities?

Old 11-03-2010, 11:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you were outa gas, if that wasnt the case, coil, igntion modual or opti would be my top three to look at. fuel filter is always a cheap easy one.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

you were outa gas, if that wasnt the case, coil, igntion modual or opti would be my top three to look at. fuel filter is always a cheap easy one.
turns out the ignition fuse was blown, why im not sure but the car runs now and i also discovered a melted vacum line that goes to area near the ecu.
my big thing is why did the fuse blow.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

so anyone have any idea why an ignition fuse would blow??

Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

look around the melted hose for any heat damaged wires. that hose should be for the heater controls or hvac check valve.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

look around the melted hose for any heat damaged wires. that hose should be for the heater controls or hvac check valve.
yeah which is why my heater only blows on defrost right? i didnt get time to look at it today. infact its still on the trailer. if the opti or something is going bad i wonder if that might blow the fuse

Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

i cant find anything funny. im afraid to drive it.

Quick Reply: does this sound like a bad opti spark?yes i searched