LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Differnet types of headers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Default Differnet types of headers!!!

Hey everyone,

I have a 1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 V8 30th anniversary! Whats the problem is, that im trying to do an engine rebuilt myself (never done anything like this, but confident in myself that i can do it) and im wondering about the different types of headers i can put on i have a custom exaust and I dont want to change but if nessesary I will! Is there a difference in a long or short headers? and which would be a good dont wanna say cheap but not too expesive header? Looking at "HOOKERS" but yes i know they are expensive also i heard "pacesetters" are really bad quality? don't know but heard. any advice will be appriciated. Thank you!!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Id reverse that and say hookers are bad quality and pacesetters are something to look at.
Hookers are known for horrible fitment issues, Pacesetters are known to have the best fitment.
The highest rated headers are Kooks longtube, but they also have the highest price tag.
The best bang for your buck are going to be Pacesetter or Dynotech. Look for longtubes as the offer the most performance, and ceramic coated as theyll last longer and look better.
Be aware weither or not you need to worry about emmisions, and also order a new Y-pipe at the same time.

Last edited by clyon; 08-20-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:21 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

pacesetter has had a bad reputation because there was a time when they had fitment issues...i believe most of those issues have been worked out and they are a good header for the money.

i don't remember if IL has emissions testing? i don't think they do, so definitely go with longtube headers, no matter what brand you look into.

i'm personally really happy with my pacesetters..i know slvr is really happy with his kooks...i know people that are happy with hooker...the reason kooks are so dang expensive is that they are stainless steel...they're a VERY quality piece.

make sure you get a y-pipe with them as well...the stock one is very restrictive and would really hold back any improvements you would see from the headers

Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Overdrive Member

I love my Kooks, but they are pretty expensive. Pacesetter, as Whammer said, has had some issues with fit in the past, but I've heard good things recently. You can also check into Dynatech headers, they're a little less known, but a great header for the money. Go long tube, I wouldn't even mess with anything else.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM

yea IL still has emissions but only 1998 and up so im good!!! ok koo thanks a lot you guys.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
2nd Gear member

wow only 98 and up thats cool we have to be over 25 yrs old in co to not have to do emissions

Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM
4th Gear Member

I have pacesetter coated LT's on my 95Z. The secret to a good header install is good gaskets. I did not use the ones that came with the Pacesetters but purchased Mr Gasket copper gaskets which leaked no matter how much I tightened them.

I then bought some Percys seal4good gaskets, put them in and all the leaks are gone. I wish i used Percy's from the get-go but you at least get to benefit from our experiences.

The spark plugs are now so easy to access.

oh, O2 extensions can be had at reasonable prices at lsxtune.com

it's much cleaner and easier than making your own and not very expensive.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by clyon
Id reverse that and say hookers are bad quality and pacesetters are something to look at.
Hookers are known for horrible fitment issues, Pacesetters are known to have the best fitment.
The highest rated headers are Kooks longtube, but they also have the highest price tag.
The best bang for your buck are going to be Pacesetter or Dynotech. Look for longtubes as the offer the most performance, and ceramic coated as theyll last longer and look better.
Be aware weither or not you need to worry about emmisions, and also order a new Y-pipe at the same time.
I dont know that its any measure on the quality of pacesetters but I had a set of those on my old truck and they were covered in rust in a week. that was about 4 or 5 years ago though. I hate it when new s**t rusts up.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Overdrive Member

If you get any painted header that's going to happen, that's why it's recommended you get either coated or better yet, full stainless.

I agree with torque, you only want to do the install once, so get good gaskets from the start. I personally use Mr. Gasket Premium (not copper!) and they've worked great for me!