LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Crank But No Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Crank But No Start

I just got my Camaro yesterday and havnet had a chance to really look at it to see what the problem was. The guy i bought it off of thinks its the CPS or something electrical. He changed the whole ignition system short of the plugs. Is there anything that typically goes wrong with the LT1s? Was reading about how fuel pump and coil both could have overheated.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 AM
2nd Gear member

I don't know about a fuel pump overheating??? But are you sure that you are getting fuel? easy way to check is on the passenger side by the firewall there is a valve(similar to whats on your tires) just push down on the valve and see if you are getting gas out. Even though he says he replaced everything in the electrical system are you sure he did it right? or is just feeding you some?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i hope not. Like i said i havent checked it yet, cant really make heads or tails of anything under there anyways. I rebuilt the 350 in my Nova but am clueless about this thing.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:00 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Well, if it cranks but doesnt start you are missing something. fuel, air or spark. You will find that the 350 you are used to is very similar to the LT1. There are a few differances but the concept is all the same.
Decide for yourself what would be the easiest to check first, crack open a bud and do it up. Haynes manuals can be had for cheap.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

He says its electrical...i know almost NOTHING about electrical, well i do just not whats what when it comes to the car. As for the Bud, Campus Security would have my ***, and then Metro would.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:09 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

No drinking on campus? That stinks. If he said electrical I would start there. See if you are getting spark to the plug. Spark isnt always enough though, the color of the spark will matter too, but make sure you are even getting it first.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yea, this place is strict. Something about "Employers wont hire you for this and this and this" type thing. supposedly if you have attendance of 98% or less you get kicked out. Among if your grade is less than a 2.0 you get kicked out after 3 months, fail 3 classes your gone, and if you fail the same class twice your gone.

anyways, ill check the electrical system, hopefully its not the CPS, heard that was hard to get to and change.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Computer cars/bikes run on sensors. There are 3 basic "Start-UP" variables to spark:

1. Crank sensor
2. Cam sensor
3. ECM

If we have fuel pressure to the injector, eliminate the gas part as was pointed out with the valve you can inspect for pressure at the fuel line.

So, if we have compression checked off, the valve and fuel checked off, 12v at the battery checked off, we can look for sensors that are the spark's 3 main components.

Here is how the crank works with this sensor. If it has an ohm's value resistance [for demonstration purposes] of say 2 ohms:

Crank Sensor:

A. We do not want it to read 1 or 3.
B. No was, hose hey! If the value reads 2.39999999 ohms, we are out of spec is a no start.
C. If the crank sensor reads, 1.9999999999999888 ohms, we are out of spec is a no start.
D. If the crank sensor reads, 2.0000000000000 ohms, we are within spec of the manual's value reading and the crank sensor is good. She starts with these hypothetical ohms values are the practical walk to a no-start variable.

So, was the crank sensor read against a good known value, like check a running Camaro's sensor or a new one in a box is now check your resistance value.

Cam Sensor:

A. Cam Sensor is read the same as the value off the crank sensor. Say within that spec or she is junk.
B. Cam tells ECM which cylinder last fired. This is called, sequence fire.
C. Cam has ONE SAVED MEMORY of the last good known value to restart the car. This starts on the next cylinder to be fired in sequence, as if the cap and rotor knew which was the next cylinder to fire [old style].
D. Once the key is turned back on, if that saved [next cylinder] value is not recognized within book spec of that cam sensor, it saved the wrong value and will not start.

ECM:

A. Will not set "morning choke map" as in move to a rich setting for cold start.
B. 02 first warms up with a glow plug inside, so a warm 02 sensor is a running ECM. A cold 02 to the touch is a bad ECM
C. Fuel pump will not prime controlled by the ECM.
D. Memory to other components do not function is ECM faulty or wire out of whatever parts were replaced, you should be reading a code(s) for a no start.

If no code(s) set, check the 3 variables listed above.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks, ill get to checking those in the morning!

Old 04-01-2009, 05:00 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

It would help if you have the 'known' (when I say 'known' I simply mean what the spec is) ohms though. The manual will tell you what the 'known' ohm is supposed to be. So you need an ohm meter. Also you will need to know where to put the terminals. neither of which I know now. If you get a manual I recomend Chiltons.. haynes is good but might not have all the specific info.

Quick Reply: Crank But No Start