LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Click... click wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Default Click... click wont start

man, mkay, my 96 lt1 was running great after i put on a new water pump, i cleaned the distributor and got a new opti wiring harness for 24.99!!!!!! wooot!!!!.. but it had to sit after i rebuilt the motor for a couple months so i could scrape up the cash to get my rear bearings done. But i didn't just let her sit in there and not run.. i went down there and started her up for 10 - 20 min once a week just cause i know what happens to motors when they sit... well getting to it i was running her in the garage and i was giving her a couple little rev's and she suddenly died on me.. i figured.. oh noo not the opti again... next day i pulled the plug and checked for corrosion.. the green stuff that loves the opti so much... there was none.. perfectly clean.. i plugged the opti back in and she started... ran for 5-10 min and died out on me again... but i noticed when i tried to restart the vehicle there is normally one click under the hood during the priming process when u turn the key to on... there was a second click that click 3 seconds after this first click... and i also noticed it doesn't make the second click when she cranks over and starts and i hear the same click when it died.. i don't know what this could be other than a relay... i will be in the garage all day trouble shooting... YAY!!!! oh yea, its a 6 speed auto, minor delership mods (interceptor pack). new water pump, new timing chain, new timing gears, new ignition mod, new K&N air filter, new spark plugs, new wires, new opti spark wiring harness, new cap, everything is virtually new on the car except the altinator and smog pump.

Last edited by interceptor_willy; 08-12-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

That sounds frustrating, just when you think your doing your car right it all goes wrong. It would be a good idea to install a fuel pressure gauge to verify that fuel pressure is present at the engine. This is quick and easy to do. It may be something not related to your recent work. Any trouble codes stored? I know it sounds stupid but make sure your battery cables are clean and tight as well. Good luck

Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

whats the gas gage read? could be a ignition modual. ive never heard of anyone rebuilding a opti. u can get a cap and rotor for em but just doing that does not do anything for the internal parts that are inside the metal part of the opti. soo it may very well be the opti. i would do a fuel pressure test and if thats good do the ignition modual. but first tell me what the gas gage is reading.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Droid

I'm a little confused, does the starter engage and spin the engine? There are two things that make a loud enough click to be heard fro inside the car, AC compressor clutch and the starter solenoid. Very hard to hear relays work with hood closed and from inside car.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 PM

the starter does engage... the motor does turn.. the ignition modual is new... and i did not take the opti appart.. lmfao.. i bought a brand new opti spark wiring harness... i bought a new distributor cleaned the cap and rotor... i smell raw fuel... it ran great after i did all this... it just suddenly died on me while it was just running idle, parked. It had no irratic idle, simply died and wouldnt start back up.. like i said everything on the car is pretty much new accept the smog pump and altinator.. but tomarrow i will go down and check to see if fuel is getting to the motor and how much pressure... i will run it on my computer and look for any codes.. and i swear.. normally when she is running when i turn my key to the on position it clicks instantly, just one click and then that is it.. but when it died on me and i turned the key to the on position.. not start... it clicked a second time 3 seconds right after the first click... the click is comming from the intake manifold area.. i am also going to go down to the dealership and see if one of there mechanics cant give me any imput on this really appreciate it guys thanks... oh yea it's got a half tank lol

Last edited by interceptor_willy; 08-12-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok get the fuel pressure test done. im thinking the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator may be out and if thats not it i would look to the ignition modual ( right next to the coil on the same bracket) and then to the opti. (a new distributor comes with a new cap and rotor, should not need cleaned) where did u get the opti and what kind is it?

Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 AM

i had to clean a lot of stuff that i could not afford. i bought the distributor from auto zone. i bought the opti spark wiring harness from ballenger motorsport, and they now sell the distributor cap and rotor sepperate... from autozone anyway. it also states in the manual that the distributor cap and rotor come in one peice.. but it has changed to make more money i guess

Last edited by interceptor_willy; 08-13-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:21 AM

a weird thing happened.. went down to check fuel pressure and she cranked right over, started and didnt die on me.. this car has some serious grimlins.. i am still going to check the fuel pressure and a couple other things... really weird car this one is....

Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

scann or have it scanned for trouble codes.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Default codes

Originally Posted by craby
scann or have it scanned for trouble codes.
well, i scanned her the day befor yesterday ( with an auto x-ray ) and she doesnt have any trouble codes popping up.. fuel pressure is fine.. checked for burned relays or fuses.. all comes up a-ok. ill just tow her to one of your guys house and just have you work on it lmao!

Last edited by interceptor_willy; 08-16-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Click... click wont start