LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

cheap hp, mustangs vs camaros?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up cheap hp, mustangs vs camaros?

hey guys a couple questions, first i was on ebay looking for cheap hp for meh lt4, and my lt1, i was curious about a wierd promax chip for 35 hp, which looks like a load of crap... anybody tried it? ya never know... also i was in my other lt1 camaro, its a 97 as well, i came up to a white 99-04 mustang gt and blew him away in a race from 65 mph... now, as far as i can tell i pulled about 2 cars away at 135 mph, but my lt1 is stock, is that normal. or does that dude just suck. satisfying but stock for stock i think on the basis of the year difference, the crustang shoulda won. right??? i guess this is a dumb question but from 0- w/e will a stock lt1 beat 99-04 gt mustang? also any cheap or do it yourself hp kinda deals? id like my lt1 that my wife has to keep up with my lt4, so she leaves mine alone...but thats a good 100hp.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

The other day I beat a 2009 Mustang GT by 2 car lengths and thats with my warped/cracked manifold

But after the race he is like "dang what you have done to that"? and I casually replied with, "Intake, Headers and Exhaust" and then he said "Man now I have to supercharge it" and I said "but then by that time youll be racing a 383 LT1" and he just drove off not knowing what to say...

Old 08-11-2009, 04:46 AM
2nd Gear member

About a month ago, I raced a 2009 mustang gt. I was behind him at a light. He took off like i knew he was going to do so I got on it and before I could shift to second, I had to change lanes to keep from hitting him in the butt. I got up to his back wheel and every time he would shift i would gain about 4-6 inches and i could shift a lot quicker than him. We got to 140 real quick and I had probably came up 2 foot on him so I was a hair quicker. He throwed me a thumb up out the window and I thumbeb him back. That dont happen much with camaro and mustangs. Only thing done to my car that I know of is a hypertech chip and 160 thermostat. It was on it when i got it. So, I was a little faster than a brand new mustang gt and I have a 93 z28 and we were both standard transmissions. Those chips are bogus. My dad got one of those SLR chips. Completely bogus.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

jjz28 is right. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Most of those cheap chips are actually resistors in a fancy box that you wire into your intake air temp sensor to try and trick your ECU into thinking the ambient air is colder thus adding more fuel to compensate. It may added a couple hp on an obd1 car but anything newer is smart enough to ignore that reading and adjust the fuel trim to normal. Your better off spending your $ on good quality fuel and used tires to smoke off!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SixShooterCamaro
The other day I beat a 2009 Mustang GT by 2 car lengths and thats with my warped/cracked manifold

But after the race he is like "dang what you have done to that"? and I casually replied with, "Intake, Headers and Exhaust" and then he said "Man now I have to supercharge it" and I said "but then by that time youll be racing a 383 LT1" and he just drove off not knowing what to say...
it it was an automatic like a lot of the 05-09 GT's then some dyno as low as 235 WHP (stock) and some manny trannys dyno as high as 265WHP (stock). There is your WHP range.

So, even if it was an auto, and had CAI/tune and changed his cat backs, it might be around 265-275 WHP. A manny tranny would be in the 290's range, maybe flirting with 300WHP but long tubes would get it there.

I'm a confused sort as I own both.

Oh, and for what it's worth, you were more comfortable. 05-09 Mustang seats suck

Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Overdrive Member

You should be able to take a mustang of similar or newer year, unless it's a Termi...but that's a whole different animal.

As far as chips go: YOU CAN'T CHIP A 4TH GEN! Nuff said...the computer will modify the fuel tables to correct the mixture. You're better off with a CAI and exhaust system...

Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 95slvrZ28
You should be able to take a mustang of similar or newer year, unless it's a Termi...but that's a whole different animal.

As far as chips go: YOU CAN'T CHIP A 4TH GEN! Nuff said...the computer will modify the fuel tables to correct the mixture. You're better off with a CAI and exhaust system...
My 93z28 has a chip. Hypertech. 93 is the only 4th gen that is chipped. 94 and up has to be flashed or programmed or whatever you call it. I wish mine could be tuned instead of just chipped.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Overdrive Member

True, the '93 was the last year for the MEMCAL chips, but you cannot purchase a "chip" off of ebay that is an add on item that will increase HP.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

so which one would win then, honestly stock for stock. lt1 vs 99-04 gt mustang, or 05-09 gt? basically have you raced stock for stock and gotten fair results? all that i hear is lt1 camaros never really loose to mustangs? really? i mean i have never lost but i could have just gotten lucky. but than again i have never raced my wifes stock lt1, only my lt4. i just raced a stang the other day in it and came to the thought, hm. maybe i should stop worrying every time i race a mustang in my lt1. maybe i really can't loose stock for stock. the videos on youtube support this theory...

Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 AM
2nd Gear member

The 99-04 you should win, actually pretty easy. The new style like 09 I was even, just gained a little bit. Probably just the driver. So I would say a new 09 style is a drivers race. I was going to put a jet chip in my car and I got to thinking since I wasnt the original owner that I would open the computer and see if someone had already bought one. Sure enough it has a hypertech chip in it.

Quick Reply: cheap hp, mustangs vs camaros?