LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

changin opti

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ok thanks man. so could it be that crank sensor thats giving him the misfire?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Whatever you guys think. If the option doesn't fix it I'm lost

Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm having a problem still with that waterpump seal. First time i put it on with it in the cover and the seal inverted outward causing it to leak and it ruined a new opti after 3000 mi.

So I got another new opti and stored it away and installed a working used one. I follwed Camaro 69 and Craby's instructions with installing the new seal and everything looked good, but with a small leak still, which became progressively worse. I removed the seal again yesterday and it looked good, but was definately leaking. I'm not sure if it was leaking around the outside where it presses in the cover, hard to tell, no scratches or gouges in the cover either, it looked good too.

I want to install new seal and new opti but i am afraid of another leak repeat. does anyone have any suggestions ?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

could it be coming from above the seal, im thinking it would be the intake manifold front seal or the shaft on the water pump drive gear is worn. u are leaking oil right?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you can see for sure that it's coming from the seal, check to make sure there isn't any groove or flaw on the shaft where the seal touches. Also make sure your installation tool is super smooth with no ridges on it that can gouge the seal as you slide it on. And oil up the tool well to help the seal slide, not snag.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by craby
ok thanks man. so could it be that crank sensor thats giving him the misfire?
That's a good question. The additional crank sensor was added because of the new OBDII system. But I'm pretty darn sure it was put there to diagnose a misfire situation with the more sophisticated OBDII, not to cause a misfire.
If his opti is an original high mileage one, I would suspect that first.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I guess that could have happened, hard to visually see anything, looks good, but the top of the cover where i pryed it out has raised metal there !! Had to put a mirror and light on it to see it. The shaft is a little loose with the seal out, do you think there could be an alignment problem also ? Installing new GM water pump with new GM opti so I dont want to screw up again. Are there any other seals out there that has a spring in it like most seals do ? Thanks Guys !!

Checked the intake sealant area and it's good and dry.
Definately oil leak on the waterpump seal only, opti and
crank are both dry. The waterpump seal leak was a fairly
big leak.

Last edited by CNCman; 02-07-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't know why the seal design was changed. I replaced my original one (the greenish rubber one) with the engine having almost 100k miles, and the old seal wasn't leaking at all. I came close to leaving the old one in, but I didn't really want to do that. My shaft wobbled too, that's gotta be normal. Once it's locked onto the water pump drive shaft, I don't think it's going anywhere.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Just can be too careful with all these front engine parts. One problem creates another. I'm just a backyard mechanic still learn everyday from you guys. Hope everyone see's how particular you need to be to detail and not to cut any corners or go cheap on parts. THANKS !!

Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the driveshaft is moving sideways the bearing is failing and alowing the shaft to move. that may be it. how much is it moving?

Quick Reply: changin opti