LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Car doesn't start, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Unhappy Car doesn't start, please help!

Hey everybody. I have a few questions to ask after I’ve been pooling for hours on this and several sites checking out all of the posts. Everything was running great, no problems with the car. There is a car show coming up in about a week and I decided to detail under the hood. I covered the opti, all electrical, the alternator, etc. washed, scrubbed, and rinsed. After this I started the car to move it back in the garage and it started and ran for about 5 seconds and then died out. I attempted to restart the car and it wouldn’t restart. I’ve had this happen before after a rainstorm or after a bad mechanic shop did a sloppy coolant change. Anyways, I usually just let the car sit and it dries out and runs fine no problem. This has only happened to me twice. I’ve let it sit for three 24 hour days and collect a lot of sunlight to dry things out. Today is the third day; I went out to start it and still just turns but won’t start. So, I hooked the scanner up to it and pulled all the codes and they were as follows and in this order 1) P0372 2) P1371 3) P0336 4) P0372 5) P1371. I then cleared the codes and kept the scanner on while cranking and the only code is P1371 and this one is flashing pending. SO, having said that, I know what the codes are and what they mean, I have Autotap software, a scanner, the GM service manuals, all the yada yada stuff. The GM manuals say the computer sets the code after two unsuccessful rotations of not detecting a low resolution impulse. This would lead me to believe opti even though in the past drying out has worked; the third and final time may have been “the straw that broke the camel’s back”. Making a long story short, my question is: based on everyone’s past experiences here and the codes and symptoms I have listed, do you think the problem is in the coil / ICM / both, harness, or the opti? Also, where is everyone getting their Opti’s these days online for a decent price? Any good ideas for drying out the opti via the vent hoses? Thanks in advance for your help. I really appreciate any help that anyone else can give.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how old is the opti? it sure sounds like the opti but i would change the ignition modual first just to delay the inebitable with a hail mary that just might work. msd is probly the best opti for your yr. has the vents and all. summit seems to have a very compeditive price and there after purchase service is good.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Tech Droid

The low res signal is generated by the opti. The opti does not like to be washed!. The opti does a lot more than just dole the spark out. All timing signals for the PCM are generated in the opti.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Smile

Hey guys thanks for the replies! craby the opti is the original. It's a 97 so i guess it's 12 to 13 years old. 70,000 miles on her. I'm thinking about changing ICM and coil first too just cause it's the cheapest. Have you had good luck with MSD opti's? Everyone I see on here seems to say stay away from them and any other after market actually and get an ACD. And z28pete yeah mine definitely has an allergy to water, lol. I haven't checked the pigtail harness yet for corrosion I might pulll that and check it out. Thanks for the advice and keep em coming if you guys think of anything.

Shaun

Old 07-31-2009, 08:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

gm/acdelco makes a good and msd makes another. there is one other ive heard good bout but cant think of the name. i have a msd and it seems to be working ok. the gm performance opti i had in my last z made it for a 100k so i know it was a good one. if u change the opti change the water pump to. that way u wont have to worry about it going and ruining the new opti.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

accel makes an opti that has a good price.