LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Can I pick your brains?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Default Can I pick your brains?

There's a lot of hard-won experience in here, so I come to you for suggestions..

Here's what I want as an end result- Mid to high end power, durability, free-revving, and it doesn't nessesarily have to be the baddest beast on the block. Lets say 400- 450 HP to the wheels.

Here's what I have- 94 stock LT1, some power tools, a garage and time.

The real questions are this: The original gm 302 was a stroked out 289, that was a great friggin' motor. I want a motor for the track, not the strip. It won't really be used for such, but that's the kind of power I have in mind. Will a 383 stroker be a good choice for this? Can you put a supercharger on it and not beat the motor to death running moderate boost?

I will be modding the body to mimic the shape of the GMMG Sunoco Camaro- I have friends in the rat-rod community who spend buttloads of money to make old steel cars look like crap, but- they can work steel.
The stance and the fenders of the Sunoco camaro is the sexiest thing on wheels.

So- A stroker block, a supercharger, free-flowing heads maybe? I want to keep fuel injection if I can.

Your suggestions?
P.S. Sorry for the wall of text.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Ninja Administrator

what is your budget? the lt1 is a high compression motor so it doesnt handle boost well. but 400rwhp is pretty easily attainable iwth a 383 NA, and will be pretty streetable too.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:51 PM

My budget will be somewhere between whoring myself out on the corners to robbing the elderly to get quality pieces. If I have to do it over time, that's fine.

The block I have should be very solid- I can (hopefully) throw in a forged crank, pistons, balance it, and look for the right head/cam combo as I go- (after I've had the block bored .30 over)

I don't need rubber in three gears, but I do want to run it at 6 grand and scare the bejeezus out of myself, while not worrying that I've just taken two year's life out of the motor.
This will most likely be a pump gas engine. My reasoning for the Supercahrger is that if I have good internals, a well balanced block, I can run a super with moderate boost and not beat the snot out of it.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Ninja Administrator

if you are looking for 400-450rwhp you may want to leave the displacement alone. look for a set of low compression pistons and heads, bring it down to 9:1 or lower, and run 10-11lbs of boost. a good blower cam and boltons you should be alright.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:08 PM

Good to know- I'm still tossing ideas around.

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:46 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

to do it right...i'd build a 383 with forged internals and the best heads you can get...something along the lines of dart 200cc heads ported by advanced induction or lloyd elliott...run that with a cam that they match to it. that alone will net you over 400hp at the wheels...tell them you plan to supercharge it, and they can help you out there as well

Old 05-11-2009, 07:50 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whammer3024
to do it right...i'd build a 383 with forged internals and the best heads you can get...something along the lines of dart 200cc heads ported by advanced induction or lloyd elliott...run that with a cam that they match to it. that alone will net you over 400hp at the wheels...tell them you plan to supercharge it, and they can help you out there as well
that sounds lik a plan to me. but if you go 200cc just send your stockers into AI. if you want aftermarket there trickflow 215cc heads are pretty sick

Old 05-11-2009, 08:51 AM

The phrase "doing it right" is first and foremost. I'd rather have parts that will never be used to their design limits and a well thought out build, than a screaming beast that will die in a cloud of parts and oil.

The stock LT1 was a high 200 HP motor, so to get 4-plus and not tax the internals will take some thought.

I'd like to keep this car for a long time- I've had it for ten years, and I'd like twenty more.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:15 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

get a compstar rotating assembly...www.advancedinduction.com sells those and it will take a whole lot of abuse

porting your stock heads isn't a bad choice either...450+ at the wheels has been accomplished on ported stockers. your power is made on the top end...the bottom end is what has to be strong to hold it all

Old 05-11-2009, 06:04 PM

So, it seems that a supercharger isn't really needed. Good heads, and internals should do it.

Good to know!

Quick Reply: Can I pick your brains?