LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Can anyone HELP ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Can anyone HELP ??

Hey guys, Two weeks ago I became the pround owner of my first Camaro 95 z28 6sp 138,000 on it. I purcashed the car not running... Once home i discovered that it wasnt holding fuel pressure, a new regulator and new pump were put in this week. Fuel presssure is now within specs. Since then i have tested compression, spark and injector pulse with noid light all appear to be ok. The car will crank over all day long with a spit or sputter here or there, Ive accomplised with EXCESSIVE cranking to get the car to run twice now, but both times it ran pretty ****ty then choked out and died.... Anyone have any ides?? Is it possible to have a bad opti-spark unit and still be getting spark to the plugs.... Any input would be greatly appricated.. Thanks

Old 02-12-2010, 08:52 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes a bad opti can do some weird sh--. might try a ignition control module but i think when they go it give no spark at all. when u did the fuel pump was the tank clean and did u drain it of all the old fuel?

Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea the gas was clean, and is now slam full with fresh gas.. So your saying that a opti can still be throwing spark but be bad? Correct? and that a module normally causes loss of spark all together... Ill probably just replace both over the weekend.. Also the check engine light on came on while it was running.. Anyone know the best way about retreivin codes out this hybrid obd-1 / obd-2 system?? After a few link errors from my scanner I discoverd its obd 1.. Lol What a weird set up..

Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its a obd1.5 (obd2 pug with a obd1computer) and they are difficult but there are scanners that will work. call the local autozone and see if they have a setup that will scann for u. some do some dont. yah the opti can produce a weak spark and or out of time or a bunch of other stuff that dont make sence. lol. the optical reader can go wack or the cap andor rotor. its best to do the water pump while u do the opti. dont want a week old opti getting leaked on by a bad water pump. make it go faster. get a gm performance opti. the cheapies are not dependable. if u have not done plugs and plugwires yet it would be a good time to do them to. with the opti and all that outa the way it wont get any easier and with that its still a pita. scanning it would help to see what the problem is. 36 is a high percentage opti code.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea the guys up at Zone said that they can order me one plus some cables.. somewhere around 300 bucks though. I dont need anything special.... Craby what do you think the least expensive way to go would be??

Old 02-13-2010, 12:45 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i guess it would depend on what i was using the car for. im out here in the middle of nowhere so i want a dependable car so i would ask the person who had the car if they ever had the opti changed and if so how long ago. have u changed the plugs? that would be a good start. the day after i got my current camaro the dang thing would not run. took a plug out and it was really old so i changed the plugs and fuel filter. started right up. the back plug looked like it had never been changed. these cars are a major pain to change the plugs but with a long handle plug rachet with the flex head its much easier. can get most from above that way. lol. fyi a quality opti will normally last between 60 and 100k miles.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:49 AM
2nd Gear member

yes the opti can cause all kinds of wierd problems.carefull of that "crank n no start"thing.usually low resolution pulse will cause a no start condition.loss of high resolution will cause a hard start,rough idle,random misfire codes etc.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:52 AM
2nd Gear member

crabby,isnt that funny?some people will go to the trouble to "try"n change the plugs but might give up on one lol

Old 02-13-2010, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

yea craby i put new plugs in after i tested the compression ended up taking the starter off to get my arm in there they looked like they were never changed . It took me freakin forever by the way but i got her done. Im pretty damn sure the opti is the factory unit and the car is at 138 000.. Can one of you explain the High/ Low Pluse ?? I take your reffering to the opti unit.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:45 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

heres some info on the dtc36
Name:  DTC361.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  62.1 KB
Name:  DTC362.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  67.7 KB
Name:  DTC363.jpg
Views: 13