LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Cam Swap Question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Cam Swap Question.

Before anyone scolds me i have a question. (I have seen the sticky) i keep researching these things and im trying to plan out this swap before i totally screw myself. Pushrod length? How long do i go? What kind of "bee hive" springs do i go with? I plan on going with the CC503 cam and doing a good p&p job on my heads. Ive searched constantly and have found nothing on how to determine the pushrod length or how to choose a valve spring. I honestly dont want any one to send me a link to another site or something i would really love to know if anyone else had done this swap and i want to know what you used. part numbers would be awesome. I dont want to buy the hot cam kit because i want something a little bigger and still streetable.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

the only way to get the proper pushrod length is to measure. you can buy pushrod length checker tool and find out. stock is 7.200 inches but when you start doing things with heads it will effect the length.

who is porting your heads? have you talked to lloyd elliott? he's a pool of information and does great work. i'd seriously consider going with him and he can recommend exact parts that will work well with your setup.

let me know if you have any more questions. and good boy on not wanting to go hotcam! lol

Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by whammer3024
the only way to get the proper pushrod length is to measure. you can buy pushrod length checker tool and find out. stock is 7.200 inches but when you start doing things with heads it will effect the length.

who is porting your heads? have you talked to lloyd elliott? he's a pool of information and does great work. i'd seriously consider going with him and he can recommend exact parts that will work well with your setup.

let me know if you have any more questions. and good boy on not wanting to go hotcam! lol

ha thanks, I want more out of my car than just throwing a cam in with stock heads and thats basically all your doing with an lt4 hot cam. But no i havnt talked to lloyd elliot. To be honest i dont have a clue as to who he is. I hear people mentioning his name all over the place but ive never thought of talking to him. I honestly dont know who will be porting my heads probably just some local shop around me. But i was hoping for a good p&p and a valve job preferably. I dont know the specs on what i want i just want it to match the cam pretty well to maximize my cams performance. I mean, to me this is the single most hardest thing to do is choose the right cam. Headers are a ***** i know that much but alll you do is bolt them on lol. Choosing a cam is a whole different experience.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:54 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

yes it is, but it seems like you've done SOME research anyway since you came to the cc503 which is a cam i've recommended for a long time to people.

you should really look into lloyd elliott. www.elliottsportworks.com dude is a master with the LT1 and his LE1 package is pretty reasonable and will make some solid power for you. thats what i was planning to go with until i decided to blow up my stock motor, lol

Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so is that stock exhaust and intake manifolds? produces that kind of power? Just a head and a cam kit? So essentially id get more horsepower with say a edelbrock intake manifold, pacesetter longtubes, a good tune, 2k stall, etc?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

those are with the proper supporting mods such as cold air intake, long tube headers, a tune and a stall(you will want bigger than 2k).

edelbrock's intake is crap. you'd be better off sending him your intake too and having him port that out as well

Old 01-11-2011, 04:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by whammer3024
those are with the proper supporting mods such as cold air intake, long tube headers, a tune and a stall(you will want bigger than 2k).

edelbrock's intake is crap. you'd be better off sending him your intake too and having him port that out as well

really? Ha i cant believe theyre passing something so crappy off.. Why do you say its crap anyway. How big of a stall would i need. I seriously dont want a stall bigger than 3500. Have you ever heard of someone sending their intake out?

Last edited by Red94z28; 01-11-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:49 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

i hear of lots of people sending their intake off. edelbrock i guess isn't an awful product as far as manifold, but you can have your intake ported for less and it will look as good as new.

i'd recommend a yank ss3200-ss3600

Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you are changing to 1.6 roller rockers then you will need to change your pushrod length, got this from lloyd on pr length checking.

PR length is something that you need to check to get the EXACT length. Use an adjustable PR checker and start at 7.100" and adjust the length until you get the wear pattern most centered in the valve. Go .050" shorter and watch the wear pattern move. If it gets worse, go .050 longer. It could be anywhere from 7.00 to 7.250 depending on everything done but a 7.100" (Trik Flow 21407100) is what I suggest for people that do not know how (or do not wanna take the time) to do this.

The following is a method of verifying proper valve train geometry. After you have estimated the required pushrod length using a Pushrod Length Checker, use this method to verify that the valve train geometry is correct (using the rockers you are using in your engine):

Name:  IECVTTech1.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  10.8 KB
The first step is to install a solid lifter and an adjustable pushrod. Mark the tip of the valve with a marker

Name:  IECVTTech2.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  10.5 KB
Install your rocker arm and set it up with zero lash.

Name:  IECVTTech3.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  12.1 KB
Rotate the crankshaft clockwise several times. Remove the rocker arm. The contact pattern of the rocker tip will be where the marker has been wiped away from the valve tip. The pattern should be centered on the valve tip, and as narrow as possible. If it is not, experiment with varying the pushrod length to yield the best pattern.

Name:  IECVTTech4A.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  8.8 KB
Pushrod Too Long: Notice how the pattern is wide, and shifted to the exhaust side of the valve tip.

Name:  IECVTTech4B.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  8.8 KB
Pushrod Too Short: Notice how the pattern is wide, and shifted to the intake side of the valve tip.

Name:  IECVTTech4C.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  9.1 KB
Pushrod Length Correct: Notice how the pattern is narrow and is centered on the valve tip.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you so much craby and whammer. This will definately help me with my build. Im probably going to invest in lloyd elliot heads and a ported intake by him as well as a CC503 cam and i will let you guys know when i determine the pushrod length. Again thank you so much. This has helped me greatly. If there is any information that you can lend me i will also greatly appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Cam Swap Question.