LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

battery guage pulses

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 06:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default battery guage pulses

I noticed the other day when I was sitting a stop light and I had my vent on that my battery guage would drop down. I turned it off and it went back up but it pulsed, like moved up and down. what could be causing this to happen, maybe the alt? Thanks all

akohnz

Old 07-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: battery guage pulses

Were you using the signal lites at the time?

Old 07-13-2006, 01:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Nope. I was on the highway yesterday, driving this time, and I put my windows up and turned on the just the vent and my battery needle went down. Then I turned the vent off and it went back up. My battery guage normally sits right above the middle white line, but when the vent or anything to do with the AC/heat until is turned on it drops to right below the white line. Thanks

akohnz

Old 07-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Tech Droid

May want to check the alternator, as you had mentioned, it could have a blown diode and it can't handle the load.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the reply Pete. Is there any way to check the alt to see if its bad? If the stock one is having hard time handling the load then should I upgrade to a higher amp?

akohnz

Old 07-14-2006, 10:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

using a volt meter crank the engine and put the red lead on your positive battery post and black on the negative. it should read about 14 volts. less than 13 but more than 12 it's probably going bad. less than 12 it is dead. also auto zone will check it for free but, you will have to remove it. sick

Old 07-18-2006, 06:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Its not the battery, it cant be I just replaced the thing about a year and half ago and the previous one had been in there for 3 years I had it since I bought the car from a private seller. I think the opti's goin out too, what do you think about the redesigned one that MSD put out???

akohnz

Old 07-20-2006, 02:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So if I have both the alt and the opti going out which would be better to replace first?

akohnz

Old 07-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Droid

If the alternator is bad, replace it first. An unsteady voltage can confuse the PCM & cause all sorts of gremlins.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks Pete. Do you or anyone else know about the new MSD redesigned distributor? Here is a link for the one I was looking at on the internet, its the silver one. I called them to confirm that it would fit, but I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this, is it junk? I have one of those unfortunate camaros that has a problem keeping a distributor, and I was looking to get something that would fix that problem. Thanks

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=25253

akohnz

Quick Reply: battery guage pulses