LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Anyone with experience with Hypertech products?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Default Anyone with experience with Hypertech products?

Anyone used one and is it worth the money?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

yes i have used one and no its not worth the money. the thermostat is i suppose

Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whammer3024
yes i have used one and no its not worth the money. the thermostat is i suppose

that's why I bought one, to set the fans and also for shift points and tires.

I've since gone the data logging and custom tune route.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 AM

Ok, so they have this chip that piggy backs the computer and a programmer and you guys are both saying that neither one works or just go with the programmer and not the chip? If I'm going to spend the money which is more worth my time headers and y-pipe or tuning? Both equal out to the same cost. I already have a full exhaust (no cat and magnaflow bolt on)

Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get the headers and y pipe first then have it tuned. what yr and model car? this is a good place to do the tune.
http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...d=44&Itemid=40

Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

headers and y pipe and a mail order tune will be more than enough for those mods. mail order tune is what, 175 bucks i think? i forget...haven't checked the price in a while

Old 01-27-2010, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Is it true you can use one hypertech programmer device on one car only, and if you don't you'll reset the settings or something?

I don't remember what the guy said, but he had a hypertech programmer and he was going to do my car, but later he said he can't do it, instead he'd sell me the device so I can do it myself. He said something along the lines of going from one car to the other is a huge hassle.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

technically, that is correct. he would have to hook the hypertech back up to his car, put his car back to stock, then you could use it on yours.

i sold mine and i know he had no problems using it

Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It depends on what you want to use the power programmer for. If you want it for getting more performance out of the engine, then I wouldn't bother with it. I bought one when I had my 96, got it for relatively cheap off ebay. You can use it to firm up the automatic trans shifts, make the cooling fan turn on sooner, recalibrate the speedo if the rear gear ratio has been changed, etc. If that's all you're after and can find one for cheap, then why not. And yes, the programmer can only be used on one car and is model year specific.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I can comment on the Hypertech Power Programmers and the Hypertech 160 deg thermostat. I also agree with upgrading your car before tuning it.

If you want to program your car, you can save a lot of money and have more capabilities with C.A.T.S. or LT1-Edit software than with Hypertech Power Programmers. That is, you will save money unless you need to buy a computer too. If you aren’t a tuner expert and you want to modify items that change how you car runs, you should probably go with PCMforless instead. If you want to change simple things like the fan settings, shifting points, etc. and you already have a computer you can carry to your car, I recommend tuning software. Also, C.A.T.S. can be used on multiple cars.

I have a Hypertech 160 deg thermostat and see no advantage of having one. I removed mine after a few months of use. The school of thought of using a Hypertech 160 deg thermostat is to “improve performance” by maintaining a lower engine temperature. After using a Hypertech 160 deg thermostat, I have formed my own opinion about them. In fact, I’ll probably be looking to sell mine. If you are looking to keep the car’s temp below 180 degrees, you can get a 160 deg Hypertech thermostat and make your fans come on sooner by programming your fans or installing a fan control kit.

Quick Reply: Anyone with experience with Hypertech products?