LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Any known problems with 93 Z's

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Default Any known problems with 93 Z's

I just bought a 93. my 3rd camaro but my first 4th gen. Being that these are the first of the 4th gens, any known quirks the early years had?? I did notice my rear end clunks quite a bit over bumps, any causes of this?? Just thought I would check to see if there is anything else I should be looking for Thanx!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:38 AM
2nd Gear member

I've had several 2nd gen, several 3rd gen irocs but when i got my 4th gen, I knew i found what i had been looking for. Mine has 145,000 and completely stock except for exhaust. It had 70,000 when i got it and i have had no issues. The only thing that has ever happened is a spark plug wire got on the ehaust and burned it into. These are awesome cars with so much power right out of the box. I know mine will run circles around my 87 vette i used to have. I think you'll really love it.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:50 PM

so far i love it!!! Mine just rolled over 120000 miles, but still has plenty of power to boot, I may run it up to a drag track near me just for grins and giggles to see what she'll run. Im sure once I get all the kinks worked out, it'll be a great driver for the summertime. How long do these motors run without having to rebuild them??? I've have had a lot of 350's, a few vortecs, a couple carbed ones, but never a LT1. I have to say im pleased so far.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear member

this is the first fourth gen ive had. Its a 93 6 speed, so i dont know a lot about them but i saw on another thread on here that the minimum should be about 200,000 before rebuild. is yours a 6 speed or auto? I would love to find another one like a 97 ss in real good shape for a good price. If you go to the track, let us know how it did.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:07 PM

I will deff. let you know how it goes at the track, But mines an auto, I really wished it was a 6-speed. But for the price I couldnt pass it up. I too would love to find a real SS in our body style, I know they're getting a lot harder to find, and cost a pretty penny to get a nice one now.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the new ride,I bought my '93 Z28 last Fall and love the car.
Mine has 198,00 miles on it,was told it was rebuilt 60K ago but no proof was furnished so who knows.
The weak points of the car that I have found mostly have to do with it being a PITA to work on but they along with all 4 gens are prone to plugged up heater cores.
Mine was a mess with a cracked radiator and too much stop leak put in plugging up the heater core badly.
I had a new radiator and heater core installed and she runs cool and heats great now.
The other weakness again with all 4th gens is the funky Optispark dizzy (distributer).
I took it to a mechanic to have plugs and wires done recently,it was way more than I wanted to tackle.
The damn dizzy is in such a goofy place and you have to pull the water pump to do a cap and rotor WTF!
Fortunately if you have a good dizzzy and new plugs and wires she'll run for a long time with no troubles.
The '93 does have a couple things that are different than later models from '94 on.
It has an ECM rather than a PCM and no MAF...look'em up lol.

I love this car but my old '69 was sure a lot simpler and easier to work on.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Yea I was gonna try and attempt plugs and wires, but i think it'll be worth the money to have someone do it. I looked at them and i think they're still the originals, so it maybe time. lol. This is a whole differ ball game than my 86 IROC and my old built 84. I could actually see the plugs on thoes ones. lol

Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BadBowTie93
Yea I was gonna try and attempt plugs and wires, but i think it'll be worth the money to have someone do it. I looked at them and i think they're still the originals, so it maybe time. lol. This is a whole differ ball game than my 86 IROC and my old built 84. I could actually see the plugs on thoes ones. lol

You ain't just whistle'n Dixie my friend,I watched mine get done and what a PITA!
They dropped the cat and crossover pipe to get at #8 sparkplug and it was still a pain.
The wrench doing the work is a big guy like me with big hands,he had another guy working there with skinny arms and small hands help with a couple of the wires.
This was all done from underneath with the car on a lift,I would have been screwed trying to do it myself in the driveway lol.
On my old '69 with a big block 427 it was a 10-15 minute job and the only tools needed were a ratchet and socket heh heh.
Man I miss that old car sometimes.

Name:  Camaro003.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  70.5 KB

Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 PM

O yeah!! that 69 looks mighty easy. Kinda crazy on these you have to fish out the wires from behind the water pump... blah!! I looked under it today while it was up on ramps, least from there i can see the plugs, I guess i didnt look at getting at them individualy. I didnt relize the only way to get #8 was to take the crossover pipe off... thats kind of a dumb design. did you have any exhaust leak probs after they broke the seal on the crossover pipe??

Old 05-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Sounds as good as ever.

Quick Reply: Any known problems with 93 Z's